6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2017 7:43 AM by d09h

Network Discovery

anitazuri

Hello,

I am about to install NPM on a new server and I have a list of IPs that I would like to add for monitoring.  I've watched a couple of videos around object discovery and it looks like when the search finds the nodes they are all listed by IP address,  What I want to know is is there any way of picking up the DNS name of servers or am I going to have to name them all manually...surely not!

We are currently have an existing Solarwinds system in place and everything has a meaningful name.  I've exported the list of IPs for all our nodes from the database and I'm going to enter these in to the new Solarwinds build; we aren't migrating we are starting from scratch so this is why I'm wondering if there is an easy way to bring in names of nodes and servers.

Thanks

Anita

• Re: Network Discovery
          d09h

Can you do your discovery as a list of DNS names rather than a list of IP addresses?  Does your exported list have that information?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              anitazuri

The list I have is just IP addresses of nodes, I could try extracting the node names and IPs from the current database but it sounds like Solarwinds will pick up the FQDNs.

I will start by initially discover just a few devices and take it form there.

Thanks to everyone for replying, this has put my mind at ease

ctlswadmin

If your new NPM Instance sits on the same network then your device names should auto discover successfully. If they don't I'm sure we can work out a script. Keep us posted.

rschroeder

I've added many nodes by IP address, and NPM always discovers their FQDNs.

I'd bet the video shows IP addresses because that's the "View By" or "Group By" option chosen off to the side.  You can certainly view by Node Name.

superfly99

If your DNS is configured correctly, when adding a node via IP address, it will change it to the FQDN automatically before adding the node.

d09h

If discovering by hostname does not work, and you determine that resolution will eventually work (just not right now), a host file on your NPM server can fill the gap for you.  I've had to do this with hundreds of nodes for extenuating circumstances.  Definitely remember to remove the host file duct tape after it has served its purpose or you may find yourself chasing ghosts later when you forget its existence.  (Ask me how I know...)