27 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2019 3:42 PM by sbrower

Hardware monitoring HPE Proliant Gen10

johnbel

We are currently using the HP Device Monitor Service for Agentless Server software solution to monitor Gen8 / Gen9 servers. For Windows server, we use HP's WBEM Providers / System Management Agents. With Gen10 servers, HPE no longer supports this solution. What is the proper way to monitor hardware now on Gen10 servers? We have the agent installed, but not getting the hardware information.

Currently using Orion Platform 2017.3.1 SP1, NPM 12.2, SAM 6.4.0.

• Re: Hardware monitoring HPE Proliant Gen10
          vinx

same question.

Currently we are polling iLO for hardware alerts (on gen 10) but i prefer to monitor hardware through OS

praveen v

Have you tried SNMP Polling

mehinkle

I Struggled with this for a few hours as well, but got this working. We've always previously polled for HP Hardware health using SNMP, but this was no longer working on Gen 10 Servers out of the box. (We were specifically using DL360 Gen10 Servers).  We have a Custom SNMP Script to Poll the Hardware Health OID Values over SNMP using WhatsUpGold, But on Gen 10 Servers, we could only see the NIC Status using SNMP.

We resolved this by doing the following:

1) Ensure the HP Agentless Management Service is installed and Enabled (If you install the OS using HP Provisioning, this is installed automatically):

This service is what handles Passing OS info over to ILO which took over managing the Hardware info out of band.

2) Make sure you enable the SMA Service in the OS (System Management Assistant Service):

This service is disabled by default. Change it to Automatic Startup, and Start the Service. Your SNMP Polling for Hardware health should start working.

After making these changes, we were able to successfully Poll for all hardware health on Gen 10 Servers.

After failing to Google this info, i found it in the following ILO5 Article:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00018324en_us

Start on Page 239 for AMS. Page 241 Starts talking about SMA.

There are instructions for doing these Steps on Windows, Linux, Vmware, Etc in the Doc.

I hope this helps others.

-Mike

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                dancoh-betsson

We use WMI to poll our Windows servers. How can we use that with AMS? SNMP is only snmpv2 in windows which is unencrypted.

krishna mishra

thanks, it is working, i used by SNMP..

krishna mishra

Hello All,

Is the possible we can do hardware monitoring of HP Gen 10 server by WMI.

thanks

keelynhenning

I tried to install HP ProLiant Agentless Management Service for Windows x64 on my system and received the following error: "The software will not be installed on this system because the required hardware is not present in the system or the software/firmware doesn't apply to this system." I know this system has the correct requirements for this install so I am at a lost.

Anyone have any ideas?

sbrower

Hi, and yes -- I've received that error before, and you may have downloaded a version for Gen 9 or earlier. There are specific versions for Gen 10, and everything you'll need is here:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home/driverHome?sp4ts.oid=1010145741

BTW, I just worked out the procedure for getting Gen 10 server monitoring working with N-central myself and found success, I am fine-tuning it now. I'll be happy to post full steps when I have them.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              cmatrask

sbrower yes please share! Thank you for this!

Cheryl

sbrower

My pleasure! The SOP I made for us includes screenshots -- I've tried to replicate the formatting here as best as possible from my document, and also omitted steps that were exclusive for our company to make them as generic as possible. Also, the SNMP steps below came from some older instructions referencing SNMPv1, and would need to be modified if you are using SNMPv3 which we recommend for better security. Other than that, here you go and let me know how it works for you. Thanks!

N-central: Configuring HP Server Monitoring (Gen10)

APPLIES TO: HPE ProLiant Gen10 servers (physical only – not applicable to VM’s)

PURPOSE: To monitor the health of HP-specific server items including RAID Status, physical drives, physical memory, power supplies, fans, and server temperature. Successful configuration requires 5 basic criteria, in this order:

On the SERVER to be monitored:

• SNMP feature must be installed and correctly configured. Any errors in the configuration of SNMP may result in failure to detect physical drives.
                                  • iLO components and the Agentless Management Service (w/SMA) must be installed and correctly configured. Older versions should be upgraded to ensure proper function.

In the N-CENTRAL console:

• SNMP must be enabled/configured under the Monitoring Options for the server’s agent.
                                  • Discovery job configured for SNMP must be run against the server to detect the HP hardware.
                                  • HP Servers service template must be applied to the server’s agent.

STEP 1: Install/configure the SNMP feature on the server

• As needed, use a random password generator to create a strong, 16-character minimum SNMP Community name for use with N-central monitoring. The Community name is the “password” for SNMP, so using the default “public” or “private” is disallowed. Copy/paste it where needed to avoid typos, and do not reuse this unique Community name for different clients.
                                  • Install the SNMP feature as needed using Server Manager > Add Roles and Features. Accept all defaults in the Wizard, and only the base SNMP component is needed for proper operation.

• The following steps are crucial to the detection of physical drives in the server. Once available, open the SNMP service. On the Security tab:
                                    • Under Accepted community names, add your unique Community name with READ WRITE access. To improve security, consider removing any existing Community names of “Public” or “Private”.
                                    • Under Accept SNMP packets from these hosts, leave “localhost” in place and add the IP address of the server running the Windows Probe. Do this even if the server IS the Windows Probe.

• Click on the Traps tab. To improve security, consider removing any existing Community names or Trap destinations of “Public” or “Private”. Save all changes; restarting the SNMP service should NOT be necessary.

STEP 2: Update HPE iLO firmware and drivers and install the Agentless Management Service (w/SMA)

Starting with Gen10, HPE ProLiant servers no longer use HPE Insight Management Agents. Instead, management is handled completely via iLO 5. The bare minimum steps to configure iLO for N-central monitoring only require adding the SNMP community name via the Agentless Management applet in the Control Panel – no additional configuration of iLO is necessary.

iLO drivers and AMS are generally installed along with other components in the ProLiant Support Pack (PSP) during the initial build of the server, but should be updated for best results. All necessary software can be found in our Tech_ISOs share (link available on the ConnectWise Today Page). Best practice is to install the latest, complete version of the PSP which updates additional drivers and utilities. For N-central’s HP hardware monitoring alone:

• Install at minimum these three components (or their latest equivalents) in order:
                                    • Online ROM Flash Component for Windows x64 - HPE Integrated Lights-Out 5
                                    • iLO 5 Channel Interface Driver for Windows Server 2016 and Server 2019
                                    • Agentless Management Service for Windows X64

When installing the Agentless Management Service, choose YES when prompted to install SMA (System Management Assistant), which allows out-of-band communication with the Windows SNMP Service. If SNMP wasn’t installed prior to SMS, this will also install the Windows SNMP Service and SNMP Tools. A reboot is recommended after iLO drivers are updated, but may or may not be necessary for N-central monitoring to work.

TIP: Remember, older versions may need to be updated to function correctly.

• Navigate to Control Panel > Agentless Management > SNMP Settings. Add the Community name to the Read Community field, then save changes and exit. This completes configuration of the server.

STEP 3: Enable/configure SNMP under the Monitoring Options for that server’s agent

In the N-central console, open the agent for the server to be monitored. Follow these steps to configure SNMP using your custom Community name:

STEP 4: Run a custom Discovery job configured for SNMP against the server

Navigate to Configuration > Asset Discovery > Discovery Jobs. Click Add to create a manual discovery job which can be reused in the future. Follow these steps, using the HP server’s IP and your custom SNMP Community name:

The discovery job begins as soon as you click OK. Wait until it has completed before proceeding to the next step.

STEP 5: Apply the HP Servers service template to the server’s agent

Follow these steps to apply the service template:

TIP: Sort by the Customer/Site Name column to minimize scrolling.

If all monitoring Services were successfully applied, configuration of HP server monitoring is complete.

TIP: Failure to detect Physical Drives is generally caused by misconfiguration of SNMP on the server, and can also occur if the server hasn’t been rebooted after updating the HP iLO5 components and installing the Agentless Management Service (w/SMA). Check your work as needed.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                  kirk.conway

I'd also be interested in seeing how to do this if you could share?  Thank you in hopeful advance!

Kirk

mesverrum

The root solution to this problem for the last couple generations of HP servers has been "download and install the necessary software package from hp" but the magic part is figuring out the labyrinth of the HP website and constantly changing naming conventions to figure out what the appropriate software package actually is for your servers.   Every time I run into this problem it takes forever to keep downloading and testing things until something works, and then the next time I need to do 6 months later the website and the program names have all changed again.

Makes it pretty painful to do a write up unfortunately.

sbrower

Certainly, and I posted the full steps above (with screenshots). I'm new here and not totally familiar with how things work -- my post says "Currently being moderated" at the top. Hopefully it is visible to everyone. Let me know if it isn't. Thanks!

Sky

P.S. -- I just checked from another browser without logging in, and apparently my post is not yet visible. Urk... took me a while to put together, lol. Any idea how to make it so?