This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SolarWinds Support, are you awake?

Finally got SAM for our Orion instance (YAY!) but, after installing it and the running configuration wizard I receive an error that says "Error while executing script- Invalid object name 'dbo.APM_ProcessEvidence_Detail". (BOO!)

pastedImage_0.png

Now, my Orion instance seems to be borked.  I called SolarWinds support and waited on hold for 30 minutes until the phone rang and I get dead air. There was no response after multiple attempts so, I called back. After another 15 minutes, I got a rep and gave him my SWID.  He said he was going to pull up my account and then I get dead air with no response...  I'm about to call back again but, I really need some help with this before Monday!

• Josh-

Sorry for the inconvenience. I will be sure this thread gets escalated to our Support team so they can see the issues you were having.

• My experiences have lead me to follow a slightly different path for contacting support for issues that need faster resolution:

1. Open a ticket online.
    2. Attach any files, all descriptions, screen shots, explanations of recent changes, and most importantly:  Exactly what I want from Support during this case.  It helps for them to understand my concerns, and they do a better job when I give them a numbered itemized list of questions and concerns to answer and address.
    3. RDP into your Solarwinds server or APE and use the Orion Diagnostics tool to generate a diagnostics file.  This can take a while.
    4. Once the case is created, use the case ID for when you upload the Orion Diagnostics, once they've completed.
    5. Now that everything's created and uploaded online, for important cases I call the Solarwinds toll-free number and wait on hold for a response.  It can take a while.  My average is 20 minutes on hold; one of my co-workers waited 45 minutes last week before someone picked up and started working with them.

The process of having all of your information in a ticket, all of your diagnostics uploaded, before you talk with someone, is a time saver.

I do NOT use this process for medium or low priority issues.  Support will get around to my ticket eventually, and I typically have the online cases resolved within two weeks.  I save telephone calls for the most important issues, and rely on Support to triage cases created online based on the work load and availability of Support technicians.

• I just want to +1 this. I cover some "tricks" (not really tricks, just best practices) for opening and managing your support tickets in this SolarWinds Lab episode:

SolarWinds Support Spectacular! - SolarWinds Lab #36 - YouTube

• Experience is the best teacher.  But a great GUI ain't a bad thing, and neither is a well-trained and well-staffed Help Desk.

• The online ticket submission system is not working. I tried last evening, and didn't realize my ticket hadn't been taken. I've tried again this morning, but it is still failing.

• I was able to submit the ticket, but I cannot attach the log that shows the problem.

• APM is the old name for SAM. It looks like the APM appreviation is still used in a lot of places in SAM.