9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2017 11:25 AM by jaf

VMAN 8.0 functionality

jaf

Hello,

I am getting asked about the functionality of VMAN 8.0 once it is integrated into the web console from the appliance. Specifically they are asking how to use the functionality from the appliance on the web. Is there a repository somewhere that maps the functionality from the appliance to the web? I checked all the support documents, but have not come across anything that mapped how to do one thing in the appliance and do the same thing in the web. A big one that is hit on is the "time travel" function. Another is the widgets. If I can find this documentation, I can then reteach our users.

Thank you,

JAF

• Re: VMAN 8.0 functionality
          jlhartsock

I can't really help directly answering your question but I at least wanted to provide insight from our journey of trying to use the integrated VMAN polling within Orion. Long story short, we ended up going back to using the appliance because of the functionality and views that were lost by using the internal VMAN polling. Our users voiced their displeasure with the lack of similarity between the interfaces and the lack of views that were provided by the appliance but weren't within Orion.

lukas.cerny

Can you give us more details on what features are your users missing? It would help us in knowing what features that are currently only in appliance are commonly used and we could prioritize those for some future releases of the Orion module.

jlhartsock

Gladly. The main complaints all culminated around three points. The first complaint was about the view structure. The users liked the widget viewing structure and information better within the appliance vs the orion plaform. The second complaint was about the capacity planning visibility. Within the Orion platform, I couldn't' figure out a way to provide the same capacity planning views at the cluster level in a consolidated view. They deemed that this functionality was one of the pillars that they utilized when deciding to purchase VMAN. The third complaint was around the cloud cost view. My company is building the plan around transitioning many of our applications to AWS so this view was vital to the information that we're looking to obtain from a Vx monitoring tool.

jaf

Hello all,

Thank you very much to all who have replied! We use the following features ourselves alot: Notes and the tags that go with them. A major one is the search and reporting functionality. Widgets that were exportable for web use. Capacity planning.

Thank you,

JAF

mesverrum

The features that were only available in the appliance are still only available in the appliance, if you still intend to use them then I would not really expect anything to change on your end.  This whole integration seems to mostly be focuses on adding new features to the orion polling so that you no longer require the appliance for the things that you would be doing in the main web console.  Time travel, capacity planning, existing appliance based dashboards, etc are all still only in the appliance. 

lukas.cerny

I'm not aware of such documentation, but you have a valid point, I'll contact our documentation department and see what we can do about this. On a side note, are there any other features than Time Travel that your users are missing in Orion?

jaf

Hello,

I wanted to also add that ya'll are moving in the right direction on putting it all on the web. I think the problem that this arose from is during the Solarwind's Tech days, we were told full features will be now on the web without the need for an appliance. It is also echoed on your main page for vman - Welcome to SolarWinds Online Help . If we were told that it would be a rolling feature update, I think we could have had some expectation management. We, in turn, told our users they would not lose any features on the upgrade and didn't find out until we had done the upgrade.

Thank you,

JAF