8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2017 7:14 AM by mharvey

Combining Performance Counters

mharvey

In an effort to track TCP packet loss we are monitoring TCPv4 SegmentsRetransmitted/Sec and SegmentsSent/Sec.  In order to determine network packet loss, we need to divide SegmentsRetransmitted/Sec/SegmentSent/sec.  I'm able to do this with a SQL report, however for tracking purposes we're looking to do a new monitor.  Is there a way to use a SAM component monitor to combine these values?  I've been unable to find any thing at this point.  I tried using the SQL User Experience Monitor, but since the Initial Catalog is required, I've been unable to use the monitor to remotely connect to the Orion database and calculate the value based on the node the monitor is assigned to.  Is what I'm looking for something that's even possible in SAM?

• Re: Combining Performance Counters
          aLTeReGo

Yes, this is something which could be done using the SQL User Experience Monitor. Simply write your query to select the last polled value of each metric and perform your mathematical function on the result. Note it sounds easier than it actually is, but if you're decent with SQL it should not be too difficult.

• Re: Combining Performance Counters
              mharvey

yeah I tried this, but I ran into issues with assigning it to other nodes to calculate those values.  It kept trying to run against the assigned node as the SQL server rather than the Orion SQL server.   I've been trying my hand at the ODBC user experience monitor, but can't seem to be able to pass variables in the Query to isolate to the node the monitor is assigned to as well.