This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Unable to use domain service account to run MSSQL Auditor

I just installed MSSQL Auditor.  I followed the instructions to import the template in Profiler.  Now onto MSSQL Auditor: I entered the server IP and typed in the domain service account that I want to use to run this service.  When i click on the button to test database connection, it immediately says the username or password is incorrect.  I know for a fact it's correct since it is the same account I use to run the MSSQLSERVER service.  This service account has already been granted the Logon as a service right in Local Security Policies.  I also added that domain service account as a login in SQL Studio with sysadmin role.  This is SQL Server 2014

What am I missing?  I did a test by using a domain admin account and it passed the database connection test.

• Update: I put the service account into Administrators group and it worked.  Obviously, I don't want to give it admin permissions so I took it back out and just gave the service account "Allow Log on Locally" rights on the SQL server and it was able to start the MSSQL Auditor Service.  Hopefully, that's minimal enough.  If anyone else knows of even more minimal permissions that will allow me to use this service account to run the Auditor service, please let me know.  Thanks.

• This article has the answers you're looking for:

Configure MSSQL Auditor on a LEM Agent - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

Specifically:

• SolarWinds recommends using a domain-based account that has sysadmin privileges on the database, although the account only needs to have Execute permissions for any stored procedures that have the xp_trace prefix.

And

If you want to use an account other than the Local System Account to run MSSQL Auditor on your database server, select This Account from the Run Service As section, and provide the appropriate credentials.

This account must have the "runas a service" right, and have SA privileges.