1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 11, 2017 9:21 PM by mesverrum

Solarwinds upgrade planned on VM , existing Solarwinds application server is physical server.

suja

We have planned to upgrade solarwinds from NPM 11.5.2 to NPM 12.1.

For this, we have built a new server (VM) which will be our solarwinds application server for NPM 12.1, NCM 7.6, NTA 4.2.2.

Will this have any effect on the upgrade process?

1) Old server NPM 11.5.2, NCM 7.4, NTA 4.1.1 is a physical server.

2) Newly built server on which we will install NPM 12.1, NCM 7.6 and NTA 4.2.2 is a Virtual Machine

• Re: Solarwinds upgrade planned on VM , existing Solarwinds application server is physical server.
          mesverrum

The physical to virtual part should not be an issue.  If you want to keep your historical data you will need to step through several versions to get from where you are to where you need to be.  If you download the installer for the latest version it will let you know the upgrade path you need to do, off the top of my head I think there are 3 steps to get your NPM to the current one, plus the steps for the other modules.  I'd definitely set yourself up for a long maintenance window, might take most of a day of watching the configuration wizards crawl along.  Definitely make backups of the db and test it along the way too because it is very frustrating to get to the end of hours of upgrades to find out something went wrong in the db all the way back at step 2.