This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Complex Condition Help Needed (with F5 Virtual Servers)

Question, is it possible to create an alert that triggers when say, any 2 out of 4 F5 virtual servers have gone down?

The background:

I'm not sure I understand how the complex trigger conditions work.  I've read the admin guide on it, but as always its somewhat lacking. 

I've created an alert to trigger on the scenario in my question above, but its just not firing. 

I've adjusted F5 polling to 3 minutes so we get Virtual Server statistics every 3 minutes. 

I've set the Evaluation of the alert to 3 minutes to match polling.

In my alert I've enabled complex conditions and configured 4 "objects"  that will trigger when a particular virtual server on the same F5 has gone down

I've set the 'condition must exist for' option to null so it fires intermediately

The X4 below indicates I've created the 4 objects all relating to the same F5 but a different Virtual Server:

pastedImage_2.png

I also don't understand this setting:

pastedImage_3.png

This sounds like exactly what I need to be able to trigger on 2 out of any 4 "objects" but why is this setting set at EACH object?  Shouldn't this be set globally to the alert or am I missing something?

I've tested the SWQL for each object and it is Valid

#confused

• Support has so far been useless.  They pointed me to a video of which I've already watched despite me specifically saying I've watched all the tutorials and read all the documentation in the admin guide.

I can't possibly be the only one trying to do this right thwackers?!

• I think the way you described this was a little hard to track so nobody wanted to jump in.  If I'm looking at this correctly then I think the mistake you made is making that block 4x.  The part you blanked out is key as well. So you are saying the F5 Device lines are all the same but the F5 virtual servers are explicitly defined 4x and each section has the 2 or more box checked?

Should be a single section, the specify the F5 device and put a nested bit with an OR for each of the virtual server names.  That way if any 2 of the 4 servers in the OR condition are down it will trigger.

• Try it like this and see what you get

pastedImage_0.png

• You are also likely to run into issues when you get to the notifications because there is a special syntax you need to use on these X or more objects type of alerts.  For the alert if you want it to list off the names of each down server you need to surround your virtual server name variable with <<< >>>

Anything inside the <<< >>> will be repeated for every object that triggered the alert.  Out of the box the only example where you can see this syntax is the "Polling Rate Limit Exceeded" alert

pastedImage_0.png

• HOLY SMOKES mesverrum​ that did the trick!

I guess I was making it too complicated which I tend to do... I was thinking that setting required separate sections and that if X amount or more of those sections evaluated true is when you got a single alert.  I didn't know it applied to a single section!  Now it makes more sense.  Sometimes it just takes a seperate set of eyes! 

Big props to you, thank you very much.  And faster than support to boot!

Thanks for the tip on the variables, I'll give that a shot too.  I was sort of already thinking that was going to be my next problem!