This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Audit Account Actions

How would I go about using a Rule in LEM to audit all account actions (creation, modification, enabling, disabling, removal)? I have a rule set up to use certain logs (e.g. UserModifyAttribute.ProviderSID = Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing 4720), but when I test it by creating a new user in AD, nothing appears. I tried adding a GPO with all the settings advised in the SolarWinds KB Configure LEM Audit Policy Information, but still no logs coming in after new user is created.

• Hello tpmobley,

It looks like you have the incorrect event type.  A new user event is going to show up as a NewDomainMember event, not a UserModifyAttribute event.

Additionally to answer your broader question, the LEM has template rules that will do a lot of this for you if you enable them:

Specifically "User Account Events" looks at the Auditable User Events group and looks for most of the event types you listed, or if you search for "user" in your rules section there are individual rules for most of the actions you're asking about.

Similarly if you wanted to track domain events for User Groups you can use the "Group Events" rule that will do about the same thing for the groups themselves.