4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2017 2:41 PM by lesojiri

How to find out on wich map (maps) is node located ?

lesojiri

How to find out on wich map (maps) is node located ?

We have a network with more than 8000 nodes, 42000 interfaces, there are more than 430 different maps in the system. It is literally impossible to open a network map to which a particular element is placed.

I have my own solution wich I will describe later. But it is unofficial and hard to maintain and final result is not 100%. My solution becomes more and more complicated with every new version of NPM. On 9.5 version it was simple with Map Maker , with 12.1 and Network Atlas it becomes to be nightmare.

Is there anybody who have the same problem, please ? Or how do you work with NPM without this function with such big amount of nodes and maps ?

I found only one simmilar request from KMNRuser (How to tell what map(s) a node is on  - 1.11.2016) on Thwack.  With no replays, with no solution.

I can't belive that only two network admins have this need , How the others take network topology  overview when they are not abble to easily open network map with faulty node ?

So please, I would like to read experience of other users with localization of node on map.

I do not want to burden your mind with my description of the solution, I would like to see if and how others solve this problem.
      I will describe my solution next Monday, I promise.

I can tell you, I asked for solutions at SolarWinds 5 to 6 years ago first time (and many times later). The solution has never been proposed to me.
      Now I'm close to ending the use of NPM just for this (my guys - network admins and NOC operators do not want use NPM just because they cannot easily open map with node they want to see in topology layout)

World Map function is not usefull for this - geological topology is different than Network topology, they are not comparable (and because of more other limitations).

Thank you for all your suggestions

• Re: How to find out on wich map (maps) is node located ?
          d09h

I gave up on maps and leveraged dynamic groups.  For reasons you mentioned but also due to the rollup status flexibility via groups that seemed lacking in maps.  This was an easy decision to make since devices had DNS entries and hostnames that looked like: region-function-001.

Since I maintained five installations and failover engine did not meet our use case, time management necessitated ditching maps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            tony.johnson

As a start, a custom SQL Query can get us this information.

select filename  from MapStudioFiles

where convert(nvarchar(max),filedata) like '%Nodes: NodeID%'

Now... to figure out a nice way to display it dynamically somewhere in the console. On the node details view maybe..

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                lesojiri

Thank you,

it seems to be useful. I tried to use a convert function and I found that each map's FileData field contains a list of nodes wich are placed on it..

It looks  this way:

comment: "NetObjects=: ,Orion.Nodes: 2777,Orion.Nodes: 12006,Orion.Nodes: 7096,Orion.Nodes: 12576,Orion.Nodes: 6080,Orion.Nodes: 14825,Orion.Nodes: 14957,

comment: "DisplayNameMap=Praha"

I found that the convert function is  very demanding on the processor performance, when it search through all maps a SQL server is close to collapse. It will be necessary to make copy of the MapStudioFiles table to another SQL instance and all operations make out of the  NMP SQL.

Using this convert function and some additional queries I will create new table wich should contain thee columns :

Node ID :          Map Name:         Map URL:

2777                 Praha                  - Url generated using Map name field  - <a href="/Orion/NetPerfMon/MapView.aspx?Map=Praha">Praha</a>

2777                 Praha-2               - Url generated using Map name field  - <a href="/Orion/NetPerfMon/MapView.aspx?Map=Praha-2">Praha-2</a>  - in a case that the node will be found on more maps

- In the next step I have to transfer Map URL field in to Node table in NPM database - in to Map URL field  (as I described the description of my current solution).

This procedure should help me to automate creation of URL's of maps.

The rest of issues I have remain, until official solutions from the manufacturer will be available. I'm asking for it for years but with no success.

I hope that SolarWinds will not change the structure of databases in the next versions so that at least this solution can be used.

lesojiri

Hi all,

I'm little bit late but I'm going to describe my solution how to find out on wich map is a specific device located.

1. I created a new custom property feeld for object Nodes  (format Text)  - named Map

2. I created a new custom property field for object Nodes (format Text) - named Map URL

( now only step 2 is necessary , I have to doo it this way, because in one of previous NPM version was not URL in "Map URL" human readable well  , In 12.x version only step 2 is necessary)

3. Each "Map" field I filled up with real map name . For example "Praha"

4. Each "Map URL " I filled up with map URL coppied from line on browser line forexample : <a href="/Orion/NetPerfMon/MapView.aspx?Map=Praha">Praha</a>

If  the device is on more maps , it is possible to put "brake" sign and fill another URL.

You can imagine that maintain all this informations manually is  horrible. Moreover it does not solve everythink I need.

Disadvantages

- It is not possible to search Node  using standard search tool. When you use standard search, as a result it shows nodes wich match , but no other database fields related to this node - like  "Map URL"  . Additionally, the ability to display other database fields in the result is not user-definable.

This is only one result for searching node named BBR1  - but I want to see more fields .....

- With search function it is possible to open Node detail screen, from the Node detail screen  you can open "Map URL"   (of course if you have custom property fields displayed on this view)

- The only way how to search map, is to use a "Manage Nodes" function, there is possible to display mode database fields. So I put a Map URL field there.  From this point it is possible to click on URL and open the map view.

- Bad is, that I do not want to allow "Manage nodes" function to all users of course.  These users will be blind.

When I do all the previous steps and open the map on which the device is located, I have not yet won. Imagine map with 30 and more devices - you have to find it on this screen and it is definitelly not easy.  CTRL-F is not usable because labels are not displayed as Text on the screen. There is no way how to highlight searched Node on map too !

Advantages

- In Network atlas you can use "Map" name as one of grouping parameters.  So all nodes and interfaces on map I'm editing at the moment, are easily visible in left hand list one next to each other.

This is my way how to open a map on wich is a node I'm lookong for located. I'm not happy with it and will not be able to use it in the future due to user-friendliness.

If anybody (especially SolarWinds staff) will have any idea how to improve this solution I will be glad.

P.S. Tonny.Johnson wich makes replay to my question give me good idea.

Thank You