4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2017 6:34 PM by mauldlouie

Nodes not shown in dropdown when setting up alert

mauldlouie

I am new to NPM and am trying to set up alerts for some additional nodes that need alerts. When I either try to edit an existing alert or set up a new alert, not all the nodes are shown in the dropdown list, so I cannot setup alerts for the nodes that don't have alerts (as they are not in the dropdown list). I see that when I go to that node, the alert I want is not listed under "All Alerts this Object can trigger". I tried clicking on Manage Alerts, checking a box by an alert, and clicking on Enable/Disable, Enable Alert, but that does not add the alert to the list that the object can trigger. How do I get alerts added to "All Alerts this Object can trigger"? Is there a document somewhere that explains how to do this? I am stumped. I should mention that we are on an old version of NPM/Orion from 2014. I cannot find where to see what version it is. We cannot upgrade because we do not have support. We do not have support because it costs too much.

• Re: Nodes not shown in dropdown when setting up alert
          tony.johnson

Hello

Here is an example which may help

Advanced Alert Manager: Alert to trigger when a node reboots - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

The products and versions you are running are listed in the footer of the Orion WebIste

mauldlouie

Sorry, that does not help. And those instructions do not work for me for getting to alerts. I have to go into the webpage for Orion and get to the alerts from the main program. The problem is that when I go to create an alert, not all the nodes show up in the dropdown for Node Name. I don't understand how to get the missing Nodes to show up. It appears to have something to do with the section, under Node Details, called "All Alerts this Object can trigger" because the alerts I want to add the node to are not listed in that box for the node. There are 3 choices in that section: "Manage Alerts", "Edit" and "Help". If I click on "Manage Alerts", it takes me to the list of Alerts under "Manage Alerts" and the options are "Alert Manager" tab or "Action Manager" tab. I can check boxes by alerts and click on "Enable/Disable" but that does not add them to the "All Alerts this Object can trigger" for the node. Apparently that is just to enable or disable that alert to work and nothing to do with whether it applies to that node. So I am baffled as to how I can add an alert to the list of "All Alerts this Object can trigger" if that is how to get the node to show up in the list of nodes in the dropdown box.

The version of Orion I have is 2015.1.2, QoE 2.0, NPM 11.5.2, IVIM 2.1.0

mauldlouie

I finally figured it out, kind of by accident. Apparently the dropdown is not a true dropdown that you have to pick from and have no other options, as I thought it was. You can also start typing a node name and, magic!, the node name you are typing appears in the "dropdown". So apparently what I thought was a dropdown was just showing me nodes that had been used in the past in alerts. To get the new nodes, I just had to start typing their names. I suppose that's supposed to be user friendly but it sure wasn't obvious to me since I thought it was a true dropdown limiting my choices.