This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Solarwinds my worst DPA offender

I monitor only a few MS SQL instances but one of them contains about a dozen databases including the Solarwinds db.  Unfortunately it is the Solarwinds database that sports the #1 query in terms of total time execution.  I take it that it is the polling query?  Is there a way to turn the frequency of that execution down.?  Should I exclude the Solarwinds db from the monitoring activity? Should I move it to another instance on its own (and how difficult would that be)? It would make the monitoring of the remaining databases more meaningful if Solarwinds weren't spiking all the value up.

I'm a newbie at DPA and Solarwinds so some of the documentation is painful to read considering the myriad of elements that can be monitored.  Any help appreciated. I've included the SQL below should anyone recognize it.

Thanks,

/* (inserted by DPA)
Procedure: SolarWinds12.dbo.sw_GetSettingsCurrentValue
Character Range: 137 to 224
Waiting on statement:

SELECT @Result = CurrentValue FROM dbo.[Settings] WHERE RTRIM(SettingID) = @SettingID

*/
CREATE 
   FUNCTION [dbo].[sw_GetSettingsCurrentValue] 
      ( 
      @SettingID varchar(250) 
      ) 
      RETURNS real 
   AS 
      BEGIN 
         DECLARE 
         @Result real
/* BEGIN ACTIVE SECTION (inserted by DPA) */ 
         SELECT @Result = CurrentValue FROM dbo.[Settings] WHERE RTRIM(SettingID) = @SettingID
/* END ACTIVE SECTION (inserted by DPA) */ 
         RETURN @Result 
      END

• OK, I believe there are a couple questions in this post. Let's untangle them so they are more bite size.

Q. How to exclude things from the charting so that they don't skew the scale so much

A. From the trend view, you can click on the SQL hash on the right which will bring up a window. Move the exclude SQL slide to on.

A. Another way (and this one is more dangerous) is to exclude that SQL from collection altogether. Here are a couple articles that may help if this is the route you want to take: Exclude data from DPA collection - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support  and Exclude a SQL Statement from DPA data collection - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

Q. What's going on with the query identified as the top query accruing wait time?

A. It may depend. I can engage some resources on my end to see if we can chase down where this is coming from, but more information would help. Can you identify what waits this query is experiencing and what the profile is (view historical chart) for this query over time? Screenshots would help and potentially quick call to take a look.