4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2017 4:03 PM by jrouviere

Deploy Adobe Reader DC

Does any one of you has some experiences in deploying Adobe Reader DC with patchmanager?

I can only see the update packages but no package for the first Install. I want to install Adobe Reader DC as MUI-Edition on multiple systems. Actually there are different versions of AR11 (MUI/non-MUI with different languages) installed.

I have already created an transform and have the single files (MUI MSI) ready. But I wonder if i can use the transform with the executable-installer.

Also it would be nice if the package can (may be using packageboot) try to uninstall all (or the mostly used) old Versions of AR11 ind directly install DC.

Best regards

• Re: Deploy Adobe Reader DC

You are free to use MSP, MSI or EXE if you would like, all are supported packages.  If you install using an EXE note that you will be limited in some options, such as being able to remove the EXE easily using Patch Manager.

Uninstall a package using Package Wizard Update Management - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

PackageBoot isn't able to directly uninstall an application, but you can have it run a program.  If you have a script or some other method to uninstall the application that may work.  Otherwise, you can try using a task in Patch Manager directly, as in the KB linked above or try:

Uninstall a program using the Patch Manager Computer Explorer - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

That means there is no HowTo or Package available for Deploying Adobe Reader DC?

Most times i have to create own packages (most of them to install/update 3rd Party applications using msi) i have much trouble configuring the correct rules, that the packages will install and after that recognized as installed.

I will try building an installer package.

Sometimes its all about the right tool.   Sometimes there are several, and sometimes we have to go outside the box.   I have Patch Manager for most things, but when i want something like reader, or something else, i use PDQ deploy.   Its so easy, point and click.   I know i know do not steer away from SolarWinds, but i am not, i believe Patch Manager is the right tool, just not in 100% of the cases, and not 100% of the time. 

Jeremy definitely has a solution that some customers use in this regard.  There's a lot to be said about using the correct tool for the job.

For completeness, here's some information and suggestions for Patch Manager:

Firstly, make sure you're synchronizing all of the available updates:

Add Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Packages - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

If you're not seeing the packages and have everything synchronized, you may have to create your own package.  Due to a variety of reasons, SolarWinds or Support won't be able to assist you with the specific syntax on the rules you're using.  However, there is a cheat.  Don't re-invent the wheel.  Chances are that other packages have a similar or otherwise adequate rule set in a related update.  While the base install of DC may not exist in Adobe's catalog directly, they do have versions of Adobe Reader/Acrobat (non-DC versions) that you can review, clone and modify.  At that point it becomes more a game of Mad Libs than rule creation, just update the versions and verify the registry values (as necessary) and voila, you should have a working package.

If you haven't already, there's a general KB that has a video with detail on package creation and specifically Package Boot Helper to get you started:

Create custom packages - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support