1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 3:15 AM by auj@klp.no

Appinsight for SQL fails to login using windows authentication

auj@klp.no

I have the following situation:

I have used Appinsight for SQL for monitoring many sql servers for years.
      I have all along used a domain user with sysadmin rights for this without issues for all servers.
      A few days ago 5 of my monitors went into a "Unknown" status. The last successful poll on these servers were about the same time (within a few minutes) during daytime when no change were being made to these sql servers. Around the same time the server running all our SolarWinds modules were booted. We have tried rebooting the server after this as well with hopes of something magically resolving our problem (with no luck)...

Other info:
      - I have also tried removing and readding the Appinsight monitor (no luck)
      - FW is turned off- I can log on to these sqlservers with the same domain user from other servers and from the very same solarwinds-server (using both sqlcmd and also with a .udl file connection)
      - This is what the "Application details" in the monitor looks like:

Connection failed. Unable to establish SQL connection, check credentials. Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement. This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time. The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=18040; handshake=14234;

- In the sqlserver error log I get the following error when testing the Appinsight connection with the domain user:
         Login failed for user 'domain\user'. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only.
         Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 58.
         (I don't get why it fails with SQL auth unless it somehow resolves to this after failing windows auth)
      - I can get the monitor to work if I change the change the authentication mode to mixed on the sql server and create a sql user (with sysadmin) and use this in the monitor

Anyone who could help me out on this one ?