This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Multiple Interface Alerting in NPM 11.5

I have not been able to find an answer to this specific question and hope that someone can help me. I am relatively new to NPM, have been given the task of cleaning up our Solarwinds and creating some specific alerts. I have been given the task of creating alerts for all instances of Port Channels. Currently we only know of port channels going down if we see a node go down and, in the course of troubleshooting, find out that the Port Channel has failed (defective SFP's, bad fiber, etc.) My manager wants to have alerts created so that we know when one of the interfaces go down.

I have port channels that consist of 2-4 interfaces; I have created an alert that will email me an alert when one of the interfaces goes down but it also sends me emails for the interfaces that are up. Does anyone know how to suppress the emails for the interfaces that are up? The only thing I know to do at this point is to create a separate alert for each interface and that seems to be really inefficient.

I have looked every place I can think of to find an answer (YouTube, here, and Google) but have come up short so far. If this has been answered somewhere and I missed it, please excuse my ignorance.....I'm losing hair and my eyes are bleeding!!!

• I believe this will work for interfaces...not aware of any reason it won't:

https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Network_Performance_Monitor_(NPM)/Alert_Group_member_status_is_down_on_specific_group

This would involve creation of a group per port channel.  How many port channels do you have?

• Thanks for the link, I read the article but the interfaces that I am looking at are on nodes that are not listed in groups. Creating a group for each port channel seems like it might not be very efficient in my environment (I could be missing something, still fumbling my way through NPM). I have approximately 330 port channels that need to have the individual interfaces monitored. Since I wrote the original question, I have figured out how to have an email sent out for the just the interface that is down. The only problem is that if you have a lot of port channels, you need to create a lot of alerts (if the alert is going to let you know what interface and where it is). One can create fewer alerts but this would involve very complex OR/AND statements and I cannot think of a way to suppress the email alerts on the interfaces should the nodes they are attached to go down. As an example, you have a core with 5 nodes coming off it; each node (switch) is connected by port channel (2 interfaces) to the core. I am creating an alert for the port channel from the core to the switches. I am setting it up so that if the core is up and an interface goes down, an alert is sent. Setting it up this way, I will get multiple emails if one of the switches goes down but that scenario doesn't seem to happen very often(have been on this job for 4 yrs.).

• If creating 300 groups via the web interface is not realistic for you, note that others have used the SDK for tasks like this:  https://github.com/solarwinds/OrionSDK/blob/master/Samples/PowerShell/Groups.ps1

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/61544

However, it sounds like you've found an acceptable solution with an acceptable level of effort.