This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM installation

I uninstalled NMP from a windows 2012 server and now it will not reinstall. Does anyone knows what I am doing wrong?

Please assist!

• You didn't mention any errors or specific issues.

Here is a generic uninstall procedure:  http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/en/flarehelp/npm/content/npm-uninstalling-npm-sw1446.htm

Uninstall SolarWinds NPM

This is a general uninstall procedure, and it may differ slightly from version to version.

SolarWinds recommends to use this procedure when installing daily builds for testing.

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
    2. Click Remove for all items starting with SolarWinds, and complete the uninstall wizard.
    3. Start the Registry Editor, and delete SolarWinds-specific folders.
      1. Click > Start > Run...
      2. Type regedit, and click OK.
      3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software.
      4. Delete both the SolarWinds and the SolarWinds.net folders.If you are uninstalling SolarWinds NPM from a 64-bit computer, expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Wow6432Node, and delete both the SolarWinds and the SolarWinds.net folders.
    4. Delete the following SolarWinds-specific folders, listed with the default paths.
      • C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds
      • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SolarWinds
      • C:\inetpub\SolarWinds
      • C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds
      • C:\ProgramData\SolarWindsAgentInstall
    5. Using your SQL Server tools, delete your SolarWinds Orion database and your Orion database user.
      • The SolarWinds Orion database is typically named SolarWindsOrion, and it can be found in the Databases folder of your SQL Server management application.
      • The default SolarWinds Orion database user is SolarWindsOrionDatabaseUser. To find the user, expand Security > Logins in your SQL Server management application.
  • Thanks for your prompt response d09h, I did some of your instructions before and also some folders wont delete.

When I start installation, the yellow starting installation window pops up and then disappeared....that's it! nothing happens after and nothing is installed.

I am thinking if this is windows 2012 thing......the last one I used was 2003 server...this is really new interface and a few new features for me.....

still at it.....

• I think it would be helpful to post any error messages you can find.

• None!!! no error message......installation starting window just goes away and that's it...

• I would open a support ticket but you can also look at the OrionInstaller.log located in the following directory.

C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds

• I had faced similar issue in my lab setup... it wasnt listing any errors like u mentioned... i tried to install it multiple times and ended up having an error stating license is corrupted. in my case since it was lab setup i just built another server and got it started....

• Ok....I rebuilt the server and still got the same thing, but now I got to the log and here is what I got.....

[13:  :15:921] ----------------------------

[13:  :15:921] OrionInstaller.BootStrapper Starting.

[13:  :17:437] Checking Windows Versions

[13:  :17:437] MSMQ check.

[13:  :17:437] MSMQ already installed

[13:  :17:437] Starting the following services: SWCollectorService;SWInfoServiceSvc;SWInfoServiceSvcV3

[13:  :17:437] .Net 4.6.2 detected.

[13:  :17:437] Starting "C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\SolarWindsOrionSetup20170829130014\OrionInstaller.exe" from "" with command line of "OrionInstaller.exe -INSTALLEREXE="C:\Users\ADMINI~1\DOWNLO~1\NPM-12~1.EXE" -SESSIONID=5C69DDB9-5199-41C0-BF31-A4FFFDA1DEF0".

[13:  :17:437] Process started.  PID = -1   GLE = 2

[13:  :22:869] OrionInstaller.BootStrapper Stopping.

Any ideas?

• did u use the old installer setup after re-building the server?

• now I went into the temp folder to try run the installer directly...here is what I got

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\SWOrionSetup201708291311\InstallManifest.config'.

File name: 'C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\SWOrionSetup201708291311\InstallManifest.config'

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)

at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials, IWebProxy proxy, RequestCachePolicy cachePolicy)

at System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.FinishInitUriString()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl..ctor(String uriStr, XmlReaderSettings settings, XmlParserContext context, XmlResolver uriResolver)

at System.Xml.XmlReaderSettings.CreateReader(String inputUri, XmlParserContext inputContext)

at System.Xml.XmlReader.Create(String inputUri, XmlReaderSettings settings, XmlParserContext inputContext)

at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(String uri, LoadOptions options)

at OrionInstaller.Program.CreateWizard(String[] args)