This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

High Availability - Best Practices

Hello Thwack Community,

I've read the documentation for High Availability for SAM and it only talks about a primary and secondary server.  I'm assuming you'd want to configure some physical separation between the two for HA and fault tolerance.  The only caveat is they need to be the same type of server on the same subnet.  I'm think of setting up an HA pair in VMware and setting the affinity rules to keep them off the same host. Additionally, setting up vSphere Operations Manager to keep an eye on these servers and kick them on in vCloud Air (incase something really bad happens).

I do have several questions regarding a possible HA setup:

1. Can we have more than 2 servers in an HA pair?

2. Do you recommend a dedicated SQL server for Solarwinds when you're doing HA?

• When you can wait for the new HA, it supports different subnets. It should be GA any time soon.

1 to my knowledge you can have more than one Server in a HA (but I am not 100% sure)

2 you could use a shared SQL server, however I would use a dedicated SQL with HA.

• I recommend a standalone SQL server for any SW application, especially one that is (assumedly) large enough to warrant concerns over HA. To my knowledge, HA does only currently support two servers (mainly because there is not any easily-written automatic logic for determining which server in a pool to fail-over to if there are more than 2 servers available).

Your methodology for HA as far as keeping them physically independent seems sound, however HerrDoktor​ is correct- my understanding is that the next HA release will allow separate subnets.

Nathan Hejnicki

Loop1 Systems

• nathan.hejnicki​ you a correct on #1, I was confusing it with multiple Pairs of HA I installed recently (Core / APE / AWS)