This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Need Help making Alerts more informative

I'm taking over a system that has already been configured to monitor my SQL Servers.  When an alert email is sent, and I'm getting thousands of them, the email contains very little info to go on.

Here is an actual email alert:

Subject:

"SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" of Application "Basic MSSQL Server Monitor Template" on <server name removed>  is in a Warning state

Body:

Component SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) of Application "Basic MSSQL Server Monitor Template" on <server name removed>  is currently in a "Warning" state. 

Click the link below for more information related to this component:

http://<server name removed> :80/Orion/View.aspx?NetObject=AM:289

Additional Information:

<This area of the email is blank>

/End of Email

Question for the group:  How can I make these alerts more informative? Aside from the server name, all I'm told is SQL server has a problem, that it is in a warning state.

Are there variables I can add to the alert template to make it more informative?  From this email alert I don't know what is broken or why.  All I know is some server is in a warning state.   When I click the link I'm taken to a very busy server dashboard that shows me everything regarding cpu, memory, I\O et al.   I don't know what fired the alert or why. Currently configured this alert is just noise to me.

Any help, tips or advise will be greatly appreciated!

Adam