This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

View Limitation no longer working on 12.1

I've been using Account Limitations - "System Name Pattern" to restrict certain users to only see the devices that are applicable to them. This was working fine under 11.0.1. Their home page also includes

Active AlertsEvent Summary

Last 25 Events

Then after upgrading to 12.1, the 3 views listed above now display every single alert and event rather than just the ones applicable to their restricted device view. I have tried to change the Account Limitation to use "Group of Nodes" and then select all the nodes I want them to see but still those 3 views shows alerts and events applicable to all devices.

Does anyone know how to get those views back to only showing information applicable to their restricted device view?

• Just thought I'd bump this up to see if anyone had any ideas on this.

Thanks

• Hey superfly99

Do you have any screenshots you could share, showing the logic behind that limitation? I'll stick a variation of your limitation on my lab and see if I can work out why it's no longer working for you.

Just a thought, have you tried deleting the limitation, recreating it, and re-assigning it?

• Thanks silverbacksays​!

I use the view limitation for some of our remote sites where there is a local level 2 onsite. I've created a page for them to show just their local stuff. So I use a view limitation so only the devices local to them show up.

So for this example I've created a new user and limited the view to a single node (normally I use a search pattern which shows multiple nodes)

pastedImage_0.png

As you can see in the above example, the All Nodes section shows only the node I've allowed, the Top 10 Interfaces section only shows interfaces on the node I've allowed. But the Active Alerts are showing alerts not for that node (Oddly though on a non-restricted view, I can see lots more alerts). And the Last 25 Events section shows all events again not just events for the node I've allowed.

pastedImage_1.png

The Nodes with Problem section is restricted but the Event Summary page shows everything again.

Whilst I was on 11.0.1, with the restricted view, all windows only should information related to the restricted view devices. But since going to 12.1, a couple of these windows show everything.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer!

• Thanks. It looks like the functionality just no longer works. I tried their suggestion

pastedImage_0.png

but it's still just creating an account limitation using a group instead of picking the nodes etc. One thing I have noticed, is that if I pick Group of Groups as the limitation, the Active Alerts now only apply to those groups. Before when I was using Node Name Pattern, some other alerts showed up as well.

Looks like I'll have to create a feature request. Bit weird that it used to work but not any longer.

• Cheers for that link neomatrix1217emoticons_happy.png

superfly99​, if you do create that FR, or find one that's already submitted which covers it, link it here so people can see the relevance and vote it up emoticons_happy.png

• What you could do, is create a new set of alerts for that site, and use the 'Alert Limitation' feature to set the local user to only have access to these alerts

All the other views seem to respect the Account Limitation just fine, and hopefully, with the Alert Limitation set on both the new alerts and the user, the 'Last 25 Events' should only show you those that are relevant to those events from alerts with the limitation set.

I haven't had time to test this, though, but off the top of my head it SHOULD help emoticons_wink.png

• No worries glad I could be of help.

• When i ran into this a while back I built a custom SWQL version of the alerts resource so i can just manually apply whatever filters I wanted

pastedImage_2.png

SELECT

o.AlertConfigurations.Name AS [ALERT NAME]

,'/Orion/NetPerfMon/ActiveAlertDetails.aspx?NetObject=AAT:' + ToString(o.AlertObjectID) AS [_LinkFor_ALERT NAME]

,CASE

WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 2 THEN '/Orion/images/ActiveAlerts/Critical.png'

WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 3 THEN '/Orion/images/ActiveAlerts/Serious.png'

WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 1 THEN '/Orion/images/ActiveAlerts/Warning.png'

WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 0 THEN '/Orion/images/ActiveAlerts/InformationalAlert.png'

WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 4 THEN '/Orion/images/ActiveAlerts/Notice.png'

END AS [_iconfor_ALERT NAME]

,o.EntityCaption AS [ALERT OBJECT]

,o.EntityDetailsURL AS [_LinkFor_ALERT OBJECT]

,case

WHEN o.RelatedNodeCaption=EntityCaption THEN 'Self'

When o.RelatedNodeCaption!=EntityCaption THEN RelatedNodeCaption

End as [RELATED NODE]

,o.RelatedNodeDetailsURL AS [_LinkFor_RELATED NODE]

,ToLocal(o.AlertActive.TriggeredDateTime) AS [ALERT TRIGGER TIME]

-- ,o.AlertActive.TriggeredMessage AS [ALERT MESSAGE]

--,'/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + n.StatusIcon AS [_IconFor_ALERT OBJECT]

,'/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + p.StatusIcon AS [_IconFor_RELATED NODE]

,CASE

when minutediff(o.AlertActive.TriggeredDateTime,GETUTCDATE())>1440 then (tostring(round(minutediff(o.AlertActive.TriggeredDateTime,GETUTCDATE())/1440.0,1)) + ' Days')

when minutediff(o.AlertActive.TriggeredDateTime,GETUTCDATE())>60 then (tostring(round(minutediff(o.AlertActive.TriggeredDateTime,GETUTCDATE())/60.0,1)) + ' Hours')

else (tostring(minutediff(o.AlertActive.TriggeredDateTime,GETUTCDATE())) + ' Minutes')

end as [Time Active]

,aa.AcknowledgedBy --optional

,ah.Message as [Note] -- optional

From Orion.AlertActive aa

join Orion.AlertObjects o on aa.alertobjectid=o.alertobjectid

join Orion.Nodes p on p.nodeid=relatednodeid

left join orion.alerthistory ah on ah.AlertActiveID=aa.AlertActiveID and ah.EventType in (2,3) --optional for notes

--where p.customproperties.City='example custom property filter'

--and (o.AlertConfigurations.Name like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%' or o.RelatedNodeCaption like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%' or o.EntityCaption like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%' or ah.Message like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%') --optional for search box

ORDER by o.AlertActive.TriggeredDateTime DESC

-Marc Netterfield

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services