2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2017 1:23 PM by htt

How to Get Data from SAM and Save for Historical Analysis

htt

Everyone,

I setup SAM using a custom template to monitor our production SQL server which serves a web site.  The custom template includes Avg Disk Queue Length, SQL PLE, Transactions/sec, etc.  How do I save the data collected from SAM so that I can compare now and one year later?  For example next year I can tel my boss that we have more user connections compared to 12 months ago and here are the numbers supporting that.  At my previous job I created a SQL job to collect data from sys.dm_os_performance_counters and it worked very well for me.  The company where I am working now is using Solarwinds and I don't want to setup another SQL job to collect the same data that SAM is already collecting.

Thanks,

• Re: How to Get Data from SAM and Save for Historical Analysis
          mesverrum

Unfortunately Orion will only hold a max of 180 days of detailed stats because going longer tends to lead to oversized databases and poor performance from the web UI.  Daily averages can be held for several years, but you may want to have more granularity than the average of the metric across 24 hours.  I find that in cases like this you are probably best off trying to do something like using SSIS to export the daily metrics out to a warehouse that you can run your longer term reports from.

• Re: How to Get Data from SAM and Save for Historical Analysis
              htt

Thanks mesverrumfor your answer. 

Another question: what is the interval used to calculate the StatisticData in table APM_CurrentComponentStatus for counter type 272696576?  For example to get the value for Deadlocks/sec I need to take 2 samples: one for now and another one 5 minutes later then divide the difference by 300 seconds so that I know in the last 5 minutes we have X deadlocks per second.  My interval is 5 minutes.

Thanks,