4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2017 7:52 AM by dive7

Scheduled task to note and close tickets?

byrona

I want to create a scheduled task that will note and close all Change Request tickets older than 3 months.  How would I go about setting something like this up?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Re: Scheduled task to note and close tickets?
          kellytice

Option 1 :

have Change Request tickets have their own Status, like ChangeRequest; that Status could be automatically set for certain Request Types through an Action Rule.
          Have that Status configured to automatically close tickets after 90 days.

Option 2 :

I don't think you can set up a Task to take an action of deleting tickets... but you can create a Task to periodically create/assign a ticket which tells someone to delete the old tickets. When (whoever) gets the ticket they can run a pre-defined query to return tickets matching that criteria and then mass-update them to Close them out.

In tickets -> Search Tickets -> Advanced search, you can create and Save a Query to show all tickets with a Request Type equal to Change Request and opened within the last 3 months.

You could then mass-select all returned results by shift-clicking that little selection box and then use a Bulk Action to change all the selected tickets to have a status of Closed.

The only other way i could think to do this automatically would be through the API.

byrona

kellytice thanks for the response.  So if I am to understand your answer correctly; there isn't a way in WHD to have a schedule that executes a job that modifies tickets on a scheduled basis?

fluffy midnight

That's correct, there's no schedule to execute a job to modify tickets on a scheduled basis.a second way you can do an auto-close after 3 months is to set the Status Type to auto-close the ticket after 3 months instead of an Action Rule, both work in the same sort of way.

kellytice's way of doing this works but is a manual process and would need to be done regularly.

A second way you can do an auto-close after 3 months is to set the Status Type to auto-close the ticket after 3 months instead of an Action Rule, both work in the same sort of way as there'd be no activity on the ticket.

dive7

If the action of a ticket being automatically closed can trigger an action rule, I suppose this could be done. Not sure if it works like that so you would have to test.

Create a new status type for Pending Change Control, set it to automatically close after 3 months.

You can create an action rule that upon ticket creation changes the status to your new status type based on the request type (if you have a request type specifically for Change Control Requests).

Then create another action rule- on any ticket update, criteria being that the ticket is your change control request type AND date closed is today AND and some 3rd metric that any manually resolved change control request would have (so the automatic tech notes aren't applied to manually closed tickets). For example, if every completed change control contained a tech note that had the word "resolved" you could use that. Action would be Modify Ticket, and click edit to add your automated tech note.