I've seen some posts on Thwack and some in the support Center about "Migration of X application to a new server", and I wanted to do it for IPAM and UDT (them them off of my server with NPM/SAM/UDT/IPAM/NCM all installed together) for a few reasons:
- IPAM doesn't really share a lot of integration with the other products, and the Network team primarily uses it. It would be a good standalone installation as it scans and this work could be offloaded to an independent server. Scanning rate could be increased.
- UDT does share a lot of integration with the other products, but it looks like it would be a good standalone system since another team primarily uses it. It could be turned up to pull/scan more data at a higher rate if this work could be offloaded to an independent server.
- IPAM and UDT don't support Windows 2016 (yet). I want to get all the other products on Windows 2016, and I don't want UDT/IPAM to be the hold up.
- With IPAM and UDT out of the core system, upgrading all the apps is a little easier (less dependencies,etc.) and maybe I can free up some resources on my old server.
I have my database on a single, independent server that all products are sharing. I ***DO*** want to keep the database intact as-is ( i.e. I don't need the database/data for IPAM/UDT moved out onto a new database)
From everything I'm reading, this looks like it's not too hard to do?
- Update IPAM/UDT to a known version (hopefully latest that can be supported on the DB/OS)
- Install the "same version" of IPAM/UDT as above onto a separate servers (I want them on separate VM's). Do not run the config wizard after the install.
- Deactivate the IPAM/UDT product license (from Web UI, or Support Portal)
- Shut down the "old" services supporting IPAM/UDT on the old server- Start up IPAM/UDT on the new servers.
- Activate the IPAM/UDT licenses on the new servers.
- Done. Possibly uninstall IPAM/UDT on the old server?
The only gotcha I can see has been:
- There may some rows in the Orion database related to pollers? that need to be deleted as the Config Wizard may fail on IPAM: IPAM moved to another server, problems...
- There appears to be a cert. to move to the new server for UDT: Move SolarWinds UDT to a new server - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support
Has anyone done this, specifically for these apps? Any issues or gotchas you know of? Also: I can't seem to find an "Move IPAM to a new server" guide like I found for UDT.
Thanks in advance!