1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 4, 2017 1:26 PM by johnny ringo

Host name change in bulk

wessens

Unless I am missing this somewhere in the GUI, Is there an easy way to change the host names in bulk?

For example:  some nodes have NYC in their name, and I was told to change it to New York City.

Could I do this in bulk somewhere? or do I need to perform an SQL query for this change?

Thanks,

WessenS

• Re: Host name change in bulk
          johnny ringo

The SolarWinds API as really improved over the last few years but I havent converted my SQL scripts for this into them yet.  My conditions are simple but this is an example of what you could do:

USE [SolarWindsOrion]

UPDATE NodesData

SET Caption =

CASE

WHEN  IP_Address LIKE '%.1' THEN NC.City + '-FIREWALL'

WHEN  IP_Address LIKE '%.2' THEN N.Sysname

WHEN  IP_Address LIKE '%.10' AND Vendor LIKE 'net-snmp' THEN NC.City + '-LINUX VM'

WHEN  IP_Address LIKE '%.15' AND Vendor LIKE 'Windows' THEN NC.City + '-' + N.SysName

ELSE IP_Address END

FROM NodesData N

INNER JOIN NodesCustomProperties NC ON NC.NodeID = N.NodeID

WHERE IP_Address LIKE 'IPADDRESSHERE'

For Subnets that meet my where clause, I rename the first IP address I name the Site name + '-FIREWALL', the second IP is usually a network device so I just keep its hostname.  Some other devices are sometimes present so I have conditions set up that look for that and if they are there then they name them accordingly.  Lastly I use the IP address as a last resort.  This is the ELSE statement at the end.  Im sure there are more complicated ones but for where I use this, it meets what I need.

Hope this helps.