8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2017 2:22 PM by bmrad

DPA report to show reads on secondary servers in a cluster

skenow

hi,

in DPA or Solarwinds, is there any report or a way to show if any secondary servers in an AG Cluster are being used by the users for data reads?  (vs using the primary server?)

thanks in advance! Susie

• Re: DPA report to show reads on secondary servers in a cluster
          mandevil

If you are using DPA to monitor both instances (the one hosting the primary replica and the one hosting the secondary replica), yes.

You can do a report on the read-only instance just on the program in question or databases. Better yet though, you can go into trends for the secondary and drill in through the programs dimension to see all activity. This will show you who, what, where, when is being sent to the secondary read-only replica to be serviced.

Let me know if you need more detail on how to do this, but you should have the ability to definitely show/see secondary usage.

skenow

hi Mandevil,

so we have upgraded our DPA to version 11.1.457, on the servers that were added as 2 servers its does show both sides now, and now shows the icon grayed out for the secondary server in AG.

for the servers we originally setup using the listener, can you give me more detail (or point me to doc if there is one) on how you can your words her :

" Better yet though, you can go into trends for the secondary and drill in through the programs dimension to see all activity. {This will show you who, what, where, when is being sent to the secondary read-only replica to be serviced" Let me know if you need more detail on how to do this, but you should have the ability to definitely show/see secondary usage.}

thanks in advance! Susie

skenow

hi, thank you for your response,

we only a 2 sets of AG servers in DPA being monitored as individual nodes, the remaining AG's sets we have are only showing the Active Node because we added using the listener, but you can't drill down like you can that have both nodes being monitored.

do you know, are we using 2 licenses in DPA by adding both nodes vs adding only the primary server using the listener?

also do the instructions in the documents links you just sent me also work for when you are only monitoring the active node in DPA?

I hope I am explaining this correctly 

thanks in advance Susie

bmrad

When you are monitoring via the listener, you will just see the statuses from the AG's that that have the same primary replica as your listener.  All other AG's will show grey (unknown) and there will be no links to their primary if we are not monitoring those instances.

So in the case below, we are monitoring via the listener QA-LIST, who the current primary is RINGO\STARR.

• RINGO\STARR is the primary replica for AG QA_Load, so we have a status.
                  • RINGO\STARR is not the primary replica for MUSCICDB, but since we are monitoring the primary instance JOHN\LENNON, it has a status and link for AG MUSICDB.
                  • RINGO\STARR is not the primary replica for Rooftop, but since we are NOT monitoring the primary instance GEORGE\HARRISON, it does NOT have status or link for AG Rooftop.

AG_summary.png

Hope this helps.