5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 6:26 AM by yaquaholic

Reporting incorrect number of available ports

tiggywiggler

On the node page for the following type of device with OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.4196.1.1.5.2.20 :

Siemens, SIMATIC NET, SCALANCE X208, 6GK5 208-0BA10-2AA3, HW: 6, FW: V4.04

It is reporting "6 ports used, 0 available, 100% used" but this is an 8 port switch. We have many many switches of this type and others of the same model may have 2 ports used and the report will be the same "2 ports used, 0 available, 100% used".

How do we get the switch to report the correct number of ports please?

• Re: Reporting incorrect number of available ports
          yaquaholic

Hi TiggyWiggler,

Can you do an snmpwalk of the device, especially the interface table  SNMP OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1?

Have a look in Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion you will find a GUI executable called snmpwalk.exe.

Enter in your IP and the correct SNMP details and have a look at the output (which saves into a text file).

ifIndex 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.1 and ifDescr 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2 will show how many interfaces the device is showing via SNMP.

tiggywiggler

Hello,

Please find the output here as an attachment.

I believe that the OID you are reading is this one here: rfc1213-mib2.asn1. Interested to see what you read in the results file that I have attached.

Hopefully this helps you help me

yaquaholic

Okay SNMP works fine:

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.1 = STRING: "Siemens, SIMATIC NET, Ethernet Switch Port 01"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.2 = STRING: "Siemens, SIMATIC NET, Ethernet Switch Port 02"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.3 = STRING: "Siemens, SIMATIC NET, Ethernet Switch Port 03"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.4 = STRING: "Siemens, SIMATIC NET, Ethernet Switch Port 04"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.5 = STRING: "Siemens, SIMATIC NET, Ethernet Switch Port 05"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.6 = STRING: "Siemens, SIMATIC NET, Ethernet Switch Port 06"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.7 = STRING: "Siemens, SIMATIC NET, Ethernet Switch Port 07"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.8 = STRING: "Siemens, SIMATIC NET, Ethernet Switch Port 08"

Certainly 8 ports detailed there.

If you navigate to the device's view page and click List Resources:

Are all of the interface selected?

You may need to click on the refresh resource button to get an up to date list off the device.

tiggywiggler

Yes, they all show up, although initially the ports that are 'down' were not selected. If you select the ports that were down and poll again, it doesn't update the number of available ports on the switch. that said, I didn't give it more than a couple of minutes after I selected the down ports. I will try that and see if it makes a difference (select the down ports and then give it a few minutes).

yaquaholic

If the ports are down, they are not available.

Can you set the ports to Admin Down status?

That way they won't report as down in NPM and it may fix your problem