8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2017 11:10 AM by jrouviere

Deploying Patch Manager Client Components from the Command Line

shocko

Guys, I'd like to auto-deploy the PM Client components (specifically the WMI components as don't need the agent) using a 3rd party utility (CA ITCM). I ran an ETW trace during the installation (initiated form the PM console) to a test server and the process the Console uses seems to be as follows:

1. Copy over a .exe and install itself as a temporary service
      2. This service then copies over wmiproviders_2.1.4.5034.exe. This seems to bundle both eh 32/64 bit agents
      3. This is then run with the /s switch wich seems to install the WMI providers as required and not the agent

Just wondering if there is any documentation on this?

• Re: Deploying Patch Manager Client Components from the Command Line
          frgpugs

I dont really understand.  They auto deploy when a PC makes contact with the WSUS/Patch Manager server.  It seems like you are making the task way harder than it should be.  If you really wanted to pre-install you could load them during OSD via MDT or SCCM or whatever but really all you need to do is set the update GPO to point to the update server and it will automatically provision the WMI providers (client components).

shocko

To my knowledge they don't auto deploy when the server contacts the WSUS/Patch manger server. For starters, our servers never contact the patch manager server, why would they? You can set the PM server to deploy the components when it is running a task that needs them but this is not a fully automated process. Furthermore, you can publish them to WSUS but then they will only be pulled down during your WSUS schedule. i wish to push them arbitrarily using SCCM/CA ITCM. Give me much more control on when they get installed.

frgpugs

If your servers never contact your wsus server then it doesn't need the client components anyway.  I have redone my wsus and pm pas server several times and never had to manually do anything for them to be auto deployed.

shocko

Eh? I never said my servers don't contact my WSUS server, I said they never contact my PM server. I would imagine you have not had to deploy the components as you are running a task on the PM against all servers that requires the components hence they get deployed. This will not wok for me due to various reasons (firewalls, certs used to sign the PM remoteinstallservice not ebing trusted etc.. As such, my question is valid .

frgpugs

I guess I cant be 100% sure when they get provisioned but it always seemed to get them before I had inventory or discovery set up yet.  I suppose a check for updates could be considered running a task against it?  I dont know, whatever, do what you need to do

jrouviere

The WMI Client Components are deployed automatically at three main points (though you can manually create tasks to do it otherwise):

1)  Patch Manager attempts a Managed Computer Inventory against the client.

2)  Patch Manager attempts a management task such as Update Management.

3)  The WMI providers have been approved as a typical third party update and the client machine downloads it as a typical approved update.

There are dozens of other cases where you can create a task or work with the machine where the providers will be installed (using Computer Explorer, deploy client components, etc), but I figured this may help you clear up what might be happening in your environment when they're already out there.

If you want the client providers to be installed when the client machines check in with WSUS prior to adding them to a Patch Manager task, you will want to work on publishing the providers as an update as mentioned in 3) above by going to Administration and Reporting, All Packages, SolarWinds Packages and publishing the matching version of the Client Components (matching the version of your Patch Manager install).