1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 1, 2017 12:52 PM by RichardLetts

Are you guys using & leveraging data in SolarWinds to keep your CMDB up-to-date? How?

ekis

Are you guys using & leveraging data in SolarWinds to keep data in your CMDB up-to-date?

Have you ever considered SolarWinds data as single source of truth and popuplate your CMDB with it? How were you able to do so?

Our CMDB is so messy right now with old stale data. In addition, we'll have auto-scaling enabled for our AWS instances.

Will appreciate any inputs.

• Re: Are you guys using & leveraging data in SolarWinds to keep your CMDB up-to-date? How?
          RichardLetts

No -- We have a separate process that retrieves the device information (that predates Solarwinds)

If I were to do this in Solarwinds I would make use of the inventory collection from the NCM product to populate the CMDB -- this should be quite straightforward using the API to generate some select statements. (unfortunately NCM inventory discovery is not extensible despite being template driven -- I would have switched to using this if that enhancement request had been delivered)

With NPM things would be harder, because discovery would be the only process that pulls all of the information from devices (even the unmonitored stuff)