7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 3:54 PM by tdanner

Orion SDK PowerOrion problems adding Interface

eherrera2528

Hi Guys,

I was working with PowerOrion and I have the next situation I hope that you can help me to resolve:

# Connect to SWIS
          $hostname = "localhost"
          $username = "admin"
          $swis = Connect-Swis -UserName $username -Password "eherrera" -Hostname $hostname 
          $aprov = New-OrionInterface -NodeId 4403 -SwisConnection $swis -InterfaceName "ge-3/1/1" -status 1 -IfName "ge3/1/1" -InterfaceIndex 506 -PollInterval 120 -RediscoveryInterval 5 -StatCollection "1"    

After running this script, everything seems to work, but when I visit the Orion UI I find that the interface I added is marked as "Unknown" and does not add the name of the interface, do you know which field I should add or why does that happen?

Thanks.

• Re: Orion SDK PowerOrion problems adding Interface
          Michael Halpin

Hi eherrera2528, I made some changes at the weekend. I'm rebuilding all the existing functionality, but in the meantime can you download the latest .psm1 and .psd1 and replace those on your disk.

OrionSDK/Samples/PowerShell/PowerOrion at master · solarwinds/OrionSDK · GitHub

And can you just respond back if the changes worked?

eherrera2528

Hi micheal100,

Thanks for your support, I have tried again but i have the same result.
              in my PS script I have writed this:

$aprov = New-OrionInterface -NodeId 4403 -SwisConnection $swis -InterfaceName "ge-3/1/1 · Test" -status 1 -IfName "ge3/1/1" -InterfaceIndex 1 -PollInterval 120 -RediscoveryInterval 5 -StatCollection "1"

and when i check my Orion page, i see the next result:

I hope that this can be possible, because this Node has a great quantity of interfaces (Logics) configured.

Thanks and Regards.

Michael Halpin

If you have to do a lot of interfaces, then the add-orioninterface probably isn't the fastest, you could try to discover and add interfaces instead:

OrionSDK/NPM.DiscoverAndAddInterfacesOnNode.ps1 at master · solarwinds/OrionSDK · GitHub

Just back to your above comment though, can you

1. delete the itnerfaces that are added already (the ones without correct data)
                  2. try running the equivalent of the following:

New-OrionInterface -NodeId 3 -SwisConnection $swis -InterfaceName "GigabitEthernet0/0 · Test" -status 1 -IfName "Gi0/0" -InterfaceIndex 1 -PollInterval 120 -RediscoveryInterval 5 -StatCollection "1"

eherrera2528

Thanks micheal100, I have a particular situation about the problem related to the DiscoverAndAddInterfacesOnNode method, I have tried with SWQL and with REST API, but I have the same result, so sometimes the device can respond in less than five minutes, but it is common to spend around the seven minutes to respond. If you have a solution please comment on this thread:

Discover Interfaces on node (powershell and curl)

So I need that for devices with more of 1000 interfaces configured can be added only one by one, because i don't need all interfaces monitored, so i can specify one that i need in monitored.

If this possible?
                      I'm a little scared that it does not work and I urgently need to resolve that situation, no matter if it's an Orion problem, it might be strange that the services layer does not work the same as the Orion UI
                      dont you think?
                      tdanner has been helping me on that topic, can you consider to see between the two how to resolve these doubts.

Thanks

Michael Halpin

Hi eherrera2528,

just to clarify, the PowerOrion module is not an official module, rather it's just my contribution back to the community. I'm currently working on rewriting it to fix a lot of bugs, improve scalability and generally make it more usable.  But, just to set expectations, all work on the PowerOrion module is done in my spare time, and unfortunately I can't spend as much time as I'd like to on that.

With that being said, I'm definitely keen to get as much of the exisitng code working as possible within that module.

If you're still interested in using the PowerOrion module please let me know if you can try the following, and if it improves functionality.

1. delete the interfaces that are added already (the ones without correct data)
                          2. try running the equivalent of the following:

New-OrionInterface -NodeId 3 -SwisConnection $swis -InterfaceName "GigabitEthernet0/0 · Test" -status 1 -IfName "Gi0/0" -InterfaceIndex 1 -PollInterval 120 -RediscoveryInterval 5 -StatCollection "1"

eherrera2528

Hi micheal100,

Thanks for your clarification about the existence of PowerOrion module, for me is great that you are working on improve the module and i can understand tha you don't have a lot of time to resolve the issues, so i think if i can make changes i'll try and if this works for me i will share with you. Thanks for your support.

With that being said, I has been implement the solution that you says to me before but i have the same result, and i tried with Cisco and Juniper thinking in a possible performance problem of the PowerOrion module, so this leads me to think that is possible that in the parameters it is necessary to add some fields with their respective values. What do you think about what i said before?

On the other hand, can you please response this question for me?

Which is the command used by Orion to make the Discovery of interfaces in networking devices?  or it is distinct according to the device (Juniper,Cisco)?

PD: If you want or if you have some time, we can review this together, you can find me as eherrera2528 on Skype, or by any means that you can for me is ok, so let me know if you can or which means you prefer.

Thanks and Regards