This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Red had services

I almost know what my answer will be, but having very little experience with Linux (save a few commands) I am hoping that someone could maybe point me in the correct direction on services that would need to be monitored on a red hat box?

We have one "rhnsd" which is a red hat subscription service.  But save that, nothing else is monitored.  I know that people will say 'depends on what the server does' and I get that.  I also understand that Linux is at it's core similar to windows and the difference is the random, odd characters that make a command up and the fact it's a GUI.

But reading about some Linux services yields not that much.

On one hand I am thinking 'well keep it simple stupid' and only monitor what you need to monitor.  But these red hat boxes are so critical to a customer that this is their core infrastructure.  So I don't know if something is that important that it needs to be monitored or I am making work for works sake.