6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2017 12:14 PM by mbird

Additional hardware for stacked engines?

sankeyj

I thought I saw somewhere that when you add an additional engine to your main poller you should also increase the hardware platform.  Now I can't find that information, although it sounds logical.  How much burden does the additional engine put on the server?

We use SAM heavily and are reaching the point where polling goes unknown and we start having lost jobs.  I have several hundred servers which are only being polled with NPM because the system cannot handle the application monitoring that needs to be applied to them and several hundred more servers I will be adding in the future.  We have purchased the additional polling engines and I have a plan to build a new server with two engines.  I just want to make sure I spec out the hardware appropriately because adding resources after the fact is a tedious process for us.

Currently I have SAM, NPM, NCM, and SRM.  Soon I will have IPAM installed as well.

My server has the following: it's a VM

Memory 32GB

CPU - 6

HD - 100GB

DB Server

Memory 80GB

CPU- 4

HD - 140GB + 50GB additional share.

Polling Engine statistics:

Elements = 6484

Network Node Elements = 628

Volume Elements = 3107

Interface Elements = 2749

SAM Polling rate = 52% When this reaches 80% or above we experience resource failures and timeouts.

Polling rate = 60%

VM Hyper-V polling rate = 50%

Total Job Weight = 4365

Pollers = 24907

thank you,

Jan