6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 2:12 PM by mesverrum

Configure Group Email

venh.123

I have created groups of nodes based on environment. For example, DEV, QA and so on. Whenever some nodes go down in any particular group, let's say QA, I want to notify only the members of the QA team, which has a distribution list and not to a common recipient. Is it possible to achieve this? If yes, can anyone please let me know how?

• Re: Configure Group Email
          Vinay BY

Yes, Use Custom attributes, create a new custom attribute on node level like say Escalation Email, but you will have to enter the email ids for each node in this case and use ${Nodes.Escalation.Email} on the action that you create on your alert - if you go with this its more generic and managing alerts would be easy

venh.123

Thanks for the prompt response. But this would become an arduous task when I have 100 nodes. Also, for existing alerts, should I modify it manually?

venh.123

Also, even if I do this activity mentioned by you for 100 nodes, can I add this token ${Nodes.Escalation.Email} in the Default Recipient To address in the Configure Default Send Email action? If so, then it will be great. Will it work? Any idea?

mesverrum

There is a tool to set custom properties in bulk, setting 100 nodes should take just a few seconds.

You can get there by going to https://YOURSERVER/Orion/Admin/CPE/InlineEditor.aspx

The technique being described by vinay.by is described here in more detail Using Custom Properties sending Alert emails

The tricky thing about replacing ${defaultemailto} with the variable would be that the syntax needed to get the custom property would be different depending on what type of object you are alerting on so it wouldn't really work universally for all types of alerts.  For example for a Node alert the syntax would be ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.Escalation_Email}

If the alert is on an interface the syntax would be  ${N=SwisEntity;M=Node.CustomProperties.Escalation_Email}

and if the alert is on a SAM app component it would be  ${N=SwisEntity;M=Application.Node.CustomProperties.Escalation_Email}

Also, FYI, you can't use periods or spaces in the property names

venh.123

Also, in the Custom Property, you have mentioned the Custom Property Name as Escalation Email, but in the token, you have mentioned as ${Nodes.Escalation.Email}. Can you please clarify this? Also, the token should be ${Nodes.Escalation.Email} or ${Node.Escalation.Email}?

venh.123

Also, even if I do this activity mentioned by you for 100 nodes, can I add this token ${Nodes.Escalation.Email} in the Default Recipient To address in the Configure Default Send Email action? If so, then it will be great. Will it work? Any idea?