This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Best way to schedule mute alerts for server patch cycle

Hi semi-noob here,

We currently are trying to determine the best way to mute alerts for servers that are set to be patched on the weekend, automatically. Our patch schedule makes this difficult as the days of the month aren't static and create a variable. Kickoff of a new cycle being on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, "Patch Tuesday" followed by the weekend patching "1 Saturday 4 AM."  So basically it looks like this:

Patch Tuesday followed by:

We currently have a custom property and a dynamic poller to pull it into it's respective patch group which is assigned during the server build process. We've tried using the unmanage scheduler but again, this requires a monthly modification of each unscheduled task to accommodate the next month. My only conclusion is to exclude alerts if the reason for reboot supplied was initiated by the patch manager, but that requires and application monitor on most servers in our environment. I'd like to hear how you guys would tackle this to broaden my options. Any help is appreciated and I know our pager holder would thank you all as well. Thanks in advance!

• You could look into creating a Powershell script that makes use of the 'New-ScheduledTaskTrigger' command that itself runs by a task schedule on the 1st of every month. This way you could dynamically modify the start date of tasks that kick off the files generated by the Solarwinds Task Scheduler tool.

• Why does the "unscheduled" task require a modification each month?  The native windows Task Scheduler will allow you to run a job based on "the second Tuesday of the month" or whatever specific day you want the job run....it's possible I'm not understanding what you're trying to do.