3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 10:53 AM by antwesor

Best practices to handle supersedence

rodri

Hi,

I would like to know what are the best practices to maintain versions of 3rd Praty software. SCCM (in my environment) can expire superseded packages 3 months after a new one comes in. However, wouldn't it be better to manually expire a superseded package before publishing the new one from the Patch Manager?

I appreciate your thoughts.

regards,

Rodrigo

• Re: Best practices to handle supersedence
          antwesor

That would depend on the application. Java, for instance, does not uninstall the previous version so there must be some process that removes the previous version after you install the superseded version. Adobe Reader DOES replace the previous version when the superseded version is installed. Just a couple of thoughts. I prefer to remove Java AFTER the new one is installed, makes for a much cleaner install for that 3rd party application IMO.

frgpugs

Personally I do not expire updates.  I schedule the server cleanup wizard to run every sunday to remove superceded updates in case I forget to do it manually.  Every week I try to remember to go through and sort all updates by supercedence and either delete third party or decline microsoft updates that are no longer needed.  I also filter by text itanium and decline all those every once in awhile too.

antwesor

frgpugs wrote:

Personally I do not expire updates.  I schedule the server cleanup wizard to run every sunday to remove superceded updates in case I forget to do it manually.  Every week I try to remember to go through and sort all updates by supercedence and either delete third party or decline microsoft updates that are no longer needed.  I also filter by text itanium and decline all those every once in awhile too.

Yes, server cleanup wizard will decline superseded updates. I also schedule that to run once a month. There is no SCCM in my environment.