8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2017 10:17 AM by tigger2

UDT Support for Windows Server 2016 ETA

Jeremiah Holland

I plan on installing Orion NPM, and a number of other modules (SAM, NTA, NCM, VNQM, & UDT) . However, because of UDT, i cannot install on Windows Server 2016, and have to use Server 2012 R2.  I'd really like to use Server 2016 if possible.  I know Solarwinds doesn't hand out any dates, but i don't see new OS support listed on any roadmap.  Can anyone give me any info at all?

Thanks!

• Re: UDT Support for Windows Server 2016 ETA
            Jeremiah Holland

I ended up installing it at a couple places on 2016, i've also got coworkers who have, and they haven't seen any issues related to it. However, it's important to note that if something is not working or there are issues, the Support teams will not provide support since the application is installed on an unsupported OS platform. 

tigger2

Thanks for the info! I'm thinking instead of waiting  for 2016 support, or going "unsupported" I might just pull UDT out onto it's own VM running Win 2012 so I can upgrade my other Orion apps to Win 2016. It appears IPAM is similar (no support for 2016) but it has 2016 support on their roadmap so I may be willing to wait for that one.

Marek

tigger2...

This should be good news for you - IPAM supports Windows Server 2016 as of version 4.3.2 IF you're already running Orion Platform 2016.2 (available in NPM 12.0.1) or higher, or the better bet is 4.5 which is available now and also supports SQL 2016 SP1.

HTH

tigger2

Awesome I just upgraded to IPAM 4.3.2. on Wed. I'm thinking of pulling IPAM out of "the borg" install I have just like I'm thinking pulling out UDT. if nothing else so we can turn up the scanning frequency and also so it doesn't get impacted for NPM upgrades, etc.  It's not tightly integrated with the other products so it's less of an issue to put it on its own server.  I *do* plan on leaving the database where it is, which is integrated with all the other products, so it looks like I can at least upgrade the database to 2016, and IPAM to win 2016...leaving UDT as the only holdout for Windows 2016.

tigger2

I heard that if UDT is installed alongside NPM (well, the SolarWinds platform NPM is installed on/with), then UDT is supported on whatever the platform is supported on. As I understood it,  *if* UDT is installed separately/standalone, on it's own server, then whatever is documented for UDT is what's supported.

ricksmith2121

tigger2

Have you found out if what you heard about UDT being installed alongside NPM is supported on 2016?

tigger2

"Officially": no.

I don't have anything official I can point to, docs, links, etc. and I haven't tried opening a support case for UDT on a bundled install on Windows 2016 to see what support says.

*But* it does make some sense that what I heard is true, since everything except UDT is documented as supporting Windows 2016 (and MSSQL 2016 for all of them, I believe), and I also believe UDT is documented as being able to be part of the new web based HA failover pool(s), which I think has to have the newest (12.1?) NPM platform running it.  In a nutshell: it would be weird for everything but UDT to be supported on Windows 2016, then have it documented allow you to bundle it all on 1 app server/together, then allow you to have documented HA support for failover , then have support turn around and say "oh yeah, UDT is the *only* thing not supported in this bundle because of the OS version, even though we allowed you to bundle it, then allowed it to be setup to be in an HA cluster, and documented everything but this one app as specifically supported on Windows 2016".