8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 4:50 PM by mmatec01

SWQL Query to select only records with latest timestamp

mmatec01

So I am trying to write an SWQL query that shows me all nodes that are unmanaged with some extra information tagged in, like Who unmanaged the node and When.  OK, I wrote a nice little SWQL query like this:

SELECT DISTINCT N.Caption AS NodeCaption, N.ChildStatus AS ChildStatus, N.Status AS NodeStatus, ToLocal(N.UnmanageFrom) AS UnManageFrom, ToLocal(N.UnmanageUntil) AS UnManageUntil, ToLocal(AE.ObservationTimestamp) AS UnManagedWhen, AE.AccountID AS Who

FROM Orion.Nodes N

LEFT OUTER JOIN Orion.AuditingEvents AS AE

ON AE.AuditEventMessage LIKE CONCAT ('% unmanaged node ', N.Caption, '.')

INNER JOIN Orion.AuditingActionTypes AS AT

ON AE.ActionTypeID = AT.ActionTypeID

WHERE ((N.Unmanaged = 'True' OR N.UnmanageFrom >= GetUtcDate())

AND AT.ActionTypeDisplayName LIKE '%Node unmanaged%')

GROUP BY N.Caption, N.ChildStatus, N.Status, N.UnmanageFrom, N.UnmanageUntil, AE.ObservationTimestamp, Who

ORDER BY N.Caption ASC, UnManagedWhen DESC

That works great but I am getting multiple entries for nodes which have been managed/unmanaged multiple times in past.  OK, so I rewrote the query slightly like this;

SELECT DISTINCT N.Caption AS NodeCaption, N.ChildStatus AS ChildStatus, N.Status AS NodeStatus, ToLocal(N.UnmanageFrom) AS UnManageFrom, ToLocal(N.UnmanageUntil) AS UnManageUntil, MAX(ToLocal(AE.ObservationTimestamp)) AS UnManagedWhen, AE.AccountID AS Who

FROM Orion.Nodes N

LEFT OUTER JOIN Orion.AuditingEvents AS AE

ON AE.AuditEventMessage LIKE CONCAT ('% unmanaged node ', N.Caption, '.')

INNER JOIN Orion.AuditingActionTypes AS AT

ON AE.ActionTypeID = AT.ActionTypeID

WHERE ((N.Unmanaged = 'True' OR N.UnmanageFrom >= GetUtcDate())

AND AT.ActionTypeDisplayName LIKE '%Node unmanaged%')

GROUP BY N.Caption, N.ChildStatus, N.Status, N.UnmanageFrom, N.UnmanageUntil, Who

Well, that's pretty close to what I want but I still see that there are multiple entries for nodes which had had different users (AccountID) doing manage/unmanage.  If the user was the same, all duplicates disappear and I get what I want.   How do I further filter out results so I get the listing of all nodes that are currently unmanaged but I only get listing of the LATEST occurrence when this unmanaging happened and the user who did that.

Thanks.

• Re: SWQL Query to select only records with latest timestamp
          tdanner

How about something like this?

SELECT N.Caption AS NodeCaption, N.ChildStatus, N.Status AS NodeStatus, 
               TOLOCAL(N.UnManageFrom) AS UnManageFrom, TOLOCAL(N.UnManageUntil) AS UnManageUntil, 
               TOLOCAL(AE.ObservationTimestamp) AS UnManagedWhen, AE.AccountID AS Who
          FROM Orion.Nodes N
          LEFT JOIN Orion.AuditingEvents AE ON N.NodeID = AE.NetworkNode
          WHERE AE.AuditEventID = (
              SELECT TOP 1 A.AuditEventID
              FROM Orion.AuditingEvents A
              WHERE A.ActionTypeID=28 AND A.NetworkNode=N.NodeID
              ORDER BY A.TimeLoggedUtc DESC
          )

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              mmatec01

Well, the SWQL query as such works but it comes back with 0 rows.  So there is something missing... debugging...

mmatec01

Debugged and this works great.   Thank you!

SELECT N.Caption AS NodeCaption, N.NodeID, N.ChildStatus, N.Status AS NodeStatus,  

TOLOCAL(N.UnManageFrom) AS UnManageFrom, TOLOCAL(N.UnManageUntil) AS UnManageUntil,  

FROM Orion.Nodes N 

WHERE (AE.AuditEventID = (SELECT TOP 1 A.AuditEventID 

WHERE A.ActionTypeID=27 AND A.NetworkNode=N.NodeID 

ORDER BY A.TimeLoggedUtc DESC)

AND

(N.Unmanaged = 'True' OR N.UnmanageFrom >= GetUtcDate()))

mesverrum

Worth pointing out here as I have seen this a few times in the past, it looks like the actiontypeid list changes around based on the versions and order that you installed the modules in since it looks like different modules have different actions available to them and they just get added to the list when they are installed.  These days I always end up navigating to the actions table and find the ones I need by name because I was getting burned by hard coding actionid's and not having them work when I went to my next client.

tdanner

Excellent point! Here's my query changed to refer to the audit event type by name instead of id.

FROM Orion.Nodes N  
                          WHERE AE.AuditEventID = (  
                              SELECT TOP 1 A.AuditEventID  
                              WHERE A.AuditingActionType.ActionType='Orion.NodeUnmanaged' AND A.NetworkNode=N.NodeID  
                              ORDER BY A.TimeLoggedUtc DESC  
                          )  

mmatec01

So that works great.  The only wrinkle is the fact that in Web Report Writer I am getting "*Query is not valid" error when I try to insert this SWQL statement as a selection.  It works great in SWQL Studio but it fails in Web Report Writer.  Just playing with it further it looks like the problem is the following clause in SELECT subquery (on line 9 above):

AND A.NetworkNode=N.NodeID

if you remove it then Web Report Writer permits SWQL query, no problem.  Of course without this construct the report is incomplete or empty and hence not useful.  Any idea why Web Report Writer has a problem with it?

tdanner

The web report writer modifies the query somewhat. Normally this does not affect the results, but it is getting confused by the correlated subquery in the where clause and producing a broken query. I came up with this as a workaround. It works in both SWQL Studio and the web report writer.

FROM Orion.Nodes N    
                                  LEFT JOIN (
                                      SELECT A.NetworkNode, MAX(A.AuditEventID) AS AuditEventID
                                      WHERE A.AuditingActionType.ActionType='Orion.NodeUnmanaged'
                                      GROUP BY A.NetworkNode
                                  ) AE1 ON N.NodeID = AE1.NetworkNode
                                  LEFT JOIN Orion.AuditingEvents AE ON AE1.AuditEventID=AE.AuditEventID