1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 16, 2017 11:57 AM by tomiannelli

Alerting provides the first clues that an event is about to happen

nigrl_kelly

Don't agree with this statement in the latest email. Good Capacity management provides the first clues to an event happening. Many times P1 issues have been avoided by proactive capacity management reporting that highlighted trends well before alerts invoked giving support staff significantly more time. This is being proactive rather than reactive to alerts because many times alerts do not give sufficient time to resolve the issue before service is impacted. I'd much rather a fireman proactively inspecting my workplace to advise on potential fire risk rather than wait for the fire alarm to go off.

Does anybody else do proactive Capacity Performance management and agree with my views?

• Re: Alerting provides the first clues that an event is about to happen
          tomiannelli

Like with many issues in technology today, that is too complex a problem to have a simple answer. Capacity management can avoid a whole host of things, that can become problems. By watching your environment and understanding the resource consumption rates you could set alerts to focus your attention on that particular asset and begin your remediation processes. If your organization has the wherewithal to increase the asset's capacity when it is needed great, but you might simply be setting expectations of lower performance because the organization cannot afford the increase necessary.

Alerting against something that is already a problem is also helpful, because if you fix it before a consumer of the asset is even aware of the incident that is a good thing. Many times it is the upstream systems users are interacting with and so the alerts for foundation components help focus remediation efforts.