This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Help with applicability rules

Hi,

I appreciate some help from anyone with experience with reading the Applicability rules in PM. The below example (Shockwave Player) states a couple of nested AND and a nested OR as well (it looks like that to me): Can anyone spell how flow is suppose to happen in layman terms for me please?

pastedImage_0.png

Rodrigo

• It looks like almost everything there would need to evaluate as True for that update to be considered "applicable".

Specifically:

• either of the very last two must be true.
    • aside from those last two lines, ALL other lines must be true.
  • I get that, no different to what I thought. Interestingly enough, it seems that shockwave doesn't create this Reg Keynormally present for other apps:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Shockwave Player

so that a NOT rule will always be true when the application is found to be already installed, which is the whole purpose of the (upgrade only) ones.

The question is why Solarwinds checks for this rule if it is not required? Wouldn't it be easier to just remove it?

• interesting.  not sure why they check for that rule.   only thing i could figure is perhaps it is there for some particular older version(s) and they want to exclude those particular older versions, but that's just a guess.

• Excluding particularly older versions would make sense. However, others like adobe AIR still use the uninstall key in the registry when installing latest versions. Perhaps the Shockwave doesnt use it for a particular reason...