9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 8:04 AM by aLTeReGo

NTA Flow Storage Database query

Vinay BY

Hi Thwackers,

I am planning to implement a setup which contains NPM,NCM,NTA+HA

I have 4 VM's with me out of which 2 VM's are being used for Netperfmon/Solarwinds DB (2 node cluster) - for DB Failover.

I am left out with 2 VM's - one of them would be a primary poller another would be a seconder server (HA).

Now the question is - Where should i install NTA Flow Storage DB ? Solarwinds suggests it should be done on a separate server altogether and it shouldn't sit on Solarwinds Primary Poller or on the DB, since I dont have an additional machine, whats the best approach for the same.

1. Can it sit on the Solarwinds DB Server if so how would it work when a failover happens ?

2. Can it sit on Solarwinds primary poller if so how would it work when a failover happens ?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: NTA Flow Storage Database query
          sum_giais

The NTA database isn't HA aware in any way. I don't think it would stop you from putting it on your SQL cluster node but... It's more a question of best practice. You'd have one SQL node that always, consistently would have higher disk I/O, net traffic etc. You could eventually see very adverse results of that decision down the line.

Even if it may be a pain I'd provision another VM, solely for the NTA database. Hopefully that's somewhat of an option, that's a tough pickle your in.

Good luck!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            orionshark

Hi,

My input here: Get the extra server for NTA flow storage - the improvements in performance is HUGE compared to placing this on another server shared with other stuff.

The time and money spend on spinning up an extra VM for this is VERY well spend on the long run :-)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Vinay BY

Thank you, but I am trying to understand what is stored on Netperfmon DB and what data is stored on FSDB. If FSDB is down would NTA stop completely or would it still show the details of last flow data on Solarwinds Web Page ? (When FSDB goes down would it only affect the historic data that's being moved from NTA to FSDB ?)