5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2017 8:32 AM by Mike Lomax

How can I get resolved Alert Message?

Mike Lomax

Without going into a lot of detail, I have a need to have the Alert Message from one triggered Alert display in an email generated by a different Alert Rule.

I have tried using the "Change Custom Property" to save the original Alert Message to a Node Custom Property and then pulling it into the other emails from there but the variables aren't resolved.

Is there some way to save the Alert Message with the variable values rather than the variable names?

• Re: How can I get resolved Alert Message?
          mesverrum

I just tested it and everything worked on my system with the variables resolving and updating my CP as expected.  I'll show you how i set it up and see if you did anything differently.

Here is my message:

Here is my action, using the alertmessage variable:

And here is the result in the Comment property that contains the message:

• Re: How can I get resolved Alert Message?
            Mike Lomax

I ended up opening a SolarWinds case for this.  What they discovered through analysis of a diag file was that I needed to "clear subscriptions".  This process involved running a query against the SolarWindsOrion database which consisted of the following:

Delete From [dbo].[PendingNotifications]
                 Delete From [dbo].[SubscriptionTags]
                 Delete From [dbo].[Subscriptions]
                 Delete From [dbo].[ContainerMemberSnapshots]
                 Delete From [dbo].[LimitationSnapshots]

Once the execution of this query completed, I was able to see the new variables through the Alert Actions Insert Variable tool.

Thanks mesverrum for pointing out that my situation was not normal.