9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2017 10:05 AM by c.gura

SWIS Fails when querying uninitialized Date/Time fields in NodesCustomProperties

steph@ethericnetworks.com

I've run into a strangeness dealing with SWQL/SWIS.  If I use the following query in SWQL Studio, it works fine.  If I attempt to run the same query via SWIS (python flavor), I get a strange error.

I created a (Node) Custom Property called SLA_Sync_Time which is defined as a Date/Time custom property: not required, no default value.

Here's the (simple/sample) query:

SELECT TOP 10 NodeID, SLA_Sync_Time from Orion.NodesCustomProperties

When I run this in SWQL Studio, I get the 10 rows I would expect.

The python code looks like so:

import requests

import orionsdk

npm_server = '<server>'

npm_user = '<user>'

npm_password = '<password>'

requests.packages.urllib3.disable_warnings()

swis = orionsdk.SwisClient(npm_server, npm_user, npm_password)

sql = "SELECT TOP 10 NodeID, SLA_Sync_Time from Orion.NodesCustomProperties"

print swis.query(sql)['results']

This produces the following error:

requests.exceptions.HTTPError: 400 Client Error: Cannot set Column 'SLA_Sync_Time' to be null. Please use DBNull instead.

This is weird in that (a) I'm not trying to 'set' anything (so the message is particularly scary) and (b) it works in SWQL.

I have a few of these Date/Time properties, and all of them generate the same error.

What's the best work-around?  Set a default date (I'd rather not, as that puts bogus data in my DB)?  Update all of the fields to contain a DBNull (how)?