This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Setup Menu Not Loading

I have been working with support for a few months now and have been unable to resolve this issue and wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing it.

We built a brand new Server 2016 VM, fresh install of WHD 12.5.0.1257 and while logged directly into the server launching WHD via localhost works fine, all of the menus once logged in, as well as ticket information works fine. However on occasion the Setup menu fails to load. It just sits there trying to load. Looking at PCAP, Fiddler, and Developer tools network tab in Chrome the page just fails to load, no GET/POST requests are sent. This causes WHD to completely lock up and you cant navigate to any other menus. This forces you to have to close out of your browser entirely.

This new Server 2016 instance is a part of a 3 server WHD setup:

WHD1 - Daemon mode: Dedicated (backend processing only)

WHD2 - Daemon mode: none (front end processing only)

WHD3 - Daemon mode: none (front end processing only)

All of these servers are in a load balancing pool. Support said that our issues could be due to the load balancer, however this issue occurs locally when logged into WHD2WHD3 directly. The setup failing to load is also inconsistant as sometimes it will GET/POST a response and will be usable.

Has anyone experienced this?

• Interesting update:

When you click the Setup button in the top main menu it is supposed to take you to General > License, however if you click the gear icon in the top right (next to logout/switch to client button) it takes you to Techs > My Account. I am able to get into the setup menu by clicking the gear icon in the top right and can access all menus/submenus inside of Setup, however the second I click General > License, that is when it fails to load, and since that is where the Setup menu bar link takes you, that is why its failing to load.

All other menus load fine, this is very bizarre.

• I have not seen this, I assume you have submitted debug logs to support?

• pabely​ that is correct. I have been working with an engineer for a few months and they are unable to reproduce this on their end. We kind of are at a stand still with where to go, this new bit of information I have sent to the engineer will hopefully help narrow down or give us some insight on how to further troubleshoot. It is only that area of the Setup menu (General > License) that becomes unresponsive and forces you to completely close out of all instances of your browser in order to load any other menu for WHD.

The engineer I have been working with was on a WebEx with me when the issue occurred, and we had the debug logs enabled so we were able to troubleshoot the logs for a specific the specific time it happened, however there was nothing indicating what was going on in the logs.

Also I see in my original post that I stated logging into server directly and running the localhost IIS site allows setup to load, that is ONLY the case sometimes, it is not consistent so it is hit or miss whether it will let you into Setup (locally from server, or via endpoint browser connecting)

• https://thwack.solarwinds.com/people/jfrenaye Do you use http or https

I assume you do not mean IIS, WHD uses Apache Tomcat and IIS should be removed or deactivated ideally.

Do you have a TMG installed?

• pabely​ sorry, I mis-typed, it is not IIS as it is tomcat, but I was still connecting https://localhost on the server instead of going to our helpdesk.domain.com from a endpoint.

So I have completely narrowed it down to the General > License section of Setup. I can get into setup fine by clicking the gear in top right, and can access all other submenus. Once I click General > License is when it fails to load, and this is the location it takes you when you click the Setup top menu item. We do use https, and no TMG is in place.

• I assume you have send HealthCheck Reports to support? My only thinking is that WHD is checking the gen3 license which might have included registry entries, depending on which node the request processes this, it may be the local node which might not have the same registry entries required to check whether this is a demo license. When your WHD was licensed it may have made some sort of update on just one node? Don't know 100% how SW licensing works but might be an issue?

• You would be correct, I have sent multiple HealthCheck reports to the engineer I have worked with and she as well as the development team could not find anything wrong. But this does appear to be something going on with the license so I updated my case with my findings, I am just waiting to hear back from them. All of the nodes that serve as a non-daemon are able to be logged into locally on the server and there is no demo notification or warning of expiration or upgrading from demo to a full license. The odd thing is that this occurs on both our WHD2 and WHD3 (WHD3 is a brand new 2016 VM and fresh install of WHD) so the only changes on it are installing WHD, and the GPOs we apply to the OU the servers are in.

We do plan to upgrade to the latest WHD pretty soon so that may fix the license issue but cant be 100% sure as we have already done an upgrade after this issue started.

I am currently waiting to hear back from support about the findings I found the other day, thank you so much for all your help though. If I hear back from support I will be sure to update this post with what was happening.

• Good luck that WHD12.5.1 resolves the issue, I have experience using multiple nodes on Linux but not Windows I'm afraid. Their gen3 licensing can be a dark art as I believe it is third party, Do keep us updated, always like to hear a happy ending, even if it is not today for you!