This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

WANT 500 THWACK POINTS? Let us know how you would use our new extended API feature in IPAM!

As many of you know, IPAM 4.5 (currently in RC) will be shipping with extended API support! <insert happy dance here> This means you will be able to perform create, read, update, and delete (CRUD) operations with our API and integrate with your 3rd party software. For additional code snippets and functionality details of the API, please visit https://github.com/solarwinds/OrionSDK/wiki/IPAM-API.

I’m curious though… how would YOU use this new feature? Share your ideas below in the comments by Friday, June 9th and receive 500 thwack points! (NOTE: Points will be awarded after June 9th.)

• I am hoping to integrate it with an external in request form, in order reserve an iPhone address. I will have to play around with it for awhile.

• Sign me up.  I was surprised/disappointed the orange highlighted area didn't bring me to the page in which I could enter my ideas.

• Share your ideas here in comments the comments of this post! Relaxed

• I am in.   If you still need bodies.

• Hi Eric!! Share your ideas here in the comments emoticons_happy.png

• The more bodies the better!  Share here in the comments!

• I'm already working on a simple system for IP request submission and automating the IP assignment and reservation.  User submits a request for an IP on a specific vlan, and the automation finds an available IP on that vlan reserves it in Orion and emails the user the IP.

• Things I'd like or hope for (or fantastically imagine for) IPAM API:

• Improved automated discovery and reporting and integration with other SW or non-SW products, including, but not limited to:
      • Microsoft AD & DNS
      • Infoblox
      • Any other "standardized" vendor's deployment of DHCP and DNS
      • Cisco security solutions including ISE, ACI, FireSIGHT, and more
    • More flexible and intuitive tie-ins to off-the-shelf or customized and automated tools that can not only report, but automatically deploy DHCP solutions through integration with switches and routers.
    • Ways to leverage and secure IP scopes through combining SW IPAM knowledge with Cisco Firepower solutions
    • A closer relation to SW Firewall Security Manager, and the ability to discover, report, and secure IP solutions using DHCP.  FWSM has to remain a viable product first.
    • IPAM's API might be used to work with the NCM library of configuration files, or with switch/router image libraries for upgrades and automated remediation of bugs and vulnerabilities.
    • It'd be sweet if the API could discover, report, and secure vulnerable systems in ways different than ISE and ACI do it.  For example, if IPAM could somehow recognize (even through a manually-entered note in a DHCP lease or reservation) that a device is old and vulnerable (think Windows XP or the equivalent), then the API could work with NCM to apply ACLs to the switch ports going to those vulnerable devices and restrict their access and limit the exposure of the vulnerability.
    • Imagine the API calling remote resources to reconfigure ports to optimize performance while limiting liabilities of the devices or flows through those ports . . .
    • Can the API move away from SOAP and SOA towards REST and ROA until it's using some form of RDF--maybe even create its own mashups to create new and useful content sharing between SW products or between SW solutions and other vendors' solutions?

Maybe take the best parts of Sky-Net and let IPAM own them for automated configuration and remediation of issues, and optimization of throughput and solutions.  Imagine dynamic QOS/COS through IPAM's API hooks into the network hardware, dynamic firewall rule-building on a per-port basis on switches, and a great display interface through NPM that shows what's being blocked, what's being optimized, and what needs attention . . .

The future could be looking good, Solarwinds!

• Ditto.  

I would like to see it tied to LEM as well to assist with Audits but also what rschroeder​ said, he always takes the best ideas HA HA....

Microsoft AD and DNS is a must have.

Cisco UCS or VMware integration for addressing issues with vlans and paths with in the infrastructure of the appliance. (it sounds good in my head anyway, not sure i can pull it off.)