0 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2017 5:40 AM by scott.l

SNMP Trap & VB Script

scott.l

I'm wondering if someone could tell me if I have something wrong with my script or if I have missed something in my process.

I have external devices behind a firewall that cannot be reached; however, the firewall forwards SNMP traffic from these devices into SolarWinds. What I've set up is an SNMP Trap to log when a device reports in. I use regex to find when these devices report in and this is working great. Where I have the issue is when I execute a VB script through the alert actions. If a device reports in periodically there is no issue, it's when the same device or several report in more than once or simultaneously in the same second. What I am noting is the wscript.exe process appears to remain in the task manager, but it writes the entry. So after 1 day, there might be over 100 wscript.exe process running/hung and I have to kill it using taskkill. This is a concern because of resources being consumed over time. Below is my script and screen shots of whats happening, thoughts on how I can improve or correct this would be appreciated.

This issue also occurs if I trigger an SQL database INSERT or UPDATE statement, instead of writing to a text file.

The alert action is set up as follows:

Action.png

${vbData8} is the node name of the device passed through the SNMP trap and is stored in TrapVarbinds

The script which is called is:

Dim oArg, strNode, fso, oFile

Set oArg = WScript.Arguments

strNode = oArg(0)

set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

set oFile = fso.OpenTextFile("c:\Scripts\DeviceLog.txt",8,true)

oFile.WriteLine Now() & " - " & strNode

oFile.Close

set oFile = Nothing

set fso = Nothing

Wscript.Quit

Here is the result after a multiple/simultaneous hits:

TaskMgr.png

To kill it, I issue the following:

TaskKill.png