3 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 4:38 PM by kyle05

Remote monitoring of VPN tunnel

kyle05

I have a remote site that is running a Windows 7 client. That client needs to connect to a vendor network via a VPN tunnel, in order to access a server it needs. I need to monitor the VPN tunnel by having the Win7 client periodically ping the VPN server on the vendor's network. The problem is, I don't have access to the vendor's VPN server and can't install the Solar Winds agent on it. Also my Solar Winds server has a direct connection to the vendor network, and will use that as the shortest path. So pinging directly from my Solar Winds server won't work.

I would like to monitor the VPN tunnel with Solar Winds. Ideally, I want to install the Solar Winds agent on the Win7 client, and have the Win7 client ping the VPN server periodically. Then I want the Win7 client to push the connection status (if it's up or not) back to my Solar Winds server. I'm just not sure if this is possible with Solar Winds. Another idea I had was using a PowerShell script to ping periodically and output to a log file, but I'm also not sure if I can pass the information into Solar Winds. If there is an API of some sort, then that would probably work, but I'd prefer the first solution with using the agent.

If anyone knows of a way to do this, please give me some ideas. I would really appreciate it.

Here is a simple diagram I made that gives an example of how this network is setup:

Untitled Diagram (1).png