3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2017 5:45 PM by bourlis

Suppress Vs. Unmanaged Node Difference

biedrzyc

I keep getting asked what the difference is between suppressing a node versus unmanaging a node.

I do not really have a straight answer to this.

When I think about it they are the same however the next question asked is for example someone states: sometimes I get asked to suppress an alert and sometimes I get asked to unmanage an alert, why is it not one or the other?

• Re: Suppress Vs. Unmanaged Node Difference
          HolyGuacamole

Suspend collecting data or triggering alerts for nodes in Maintenance Mode

I think you mean the 'Mute Alerts' feature. This suspends only alerting but data collection is not stopped. The maintenance mode stops both alerting and data collection

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              biedrzyc

Yes I am sorry I should have specified we are on an older version of Solarwinds that still uses the Suppressed /Unmanage option.

I took a Solarwinds class and was able to see a newer version of Solarwinds and they had the option to Mute Alerts Feature but we will not have that option and will not until we upgrade to the newer version.

So to go back, you may or may not know but the two terminologies are interchangeable, is this correct?

bourlis

Here's the biggest difference and for me is the hardest thing to explain to people, muting alerts also retains the parent/child relationship where as unmanaged mode breaks it.

Example:

A single parent node with 2 children nodes.

1. Place the parent node into unmanaged mode and leave the children alone, Solarwinds will alarm on the children node when the parent goes down.  When the work is done Solarwinds will show 100% availability to the parent node during the work window, but the children nodes will take a hit in availability.
              2. Place the parent node into a muted state and the parent/child relationship remains in tacked.  The children nodes will change to a unknown state during the outage.  When connectivity is restored the parent node will have a drop in availability during the outage, but the children nodes will have 100% availability during the outage.

This is only an issue if you enable parent/child relationships and have a lot of single connected nodes and if SLA reports are a issue in your environment.