8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2017 9:38 AM by jprinz

Next Update

bknight

I'm only writing this as I'm hoping to hear some update as when we can expect the next update to WHD.  As it has been right at 6 months since 12.5, I haven't heard or seen any other talk coming from Solarwinds about another update.  I'm hoping we are not going back to the time where there is over a year or more before another update is released.  I think 6 months is a reasonable amount of time between updates, so how about it Solarwinds.  Where are we with the future of WHD?

• Re: Next Update
          jfrenaye

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-176971#start=50

WE ARE CURRENTLY IN THE PLANNING PHASE FOR THE NEXT RELEASE, WE ARE INVESTIGATING FOLLOWING AREAS. AS WE MOVE FORWARD WE WILL UPDATE THIS POST TO REFLECT WHAT WE ARE WORKING ON SHORT-TERM.  IF THERE IS ANYTHING MISSING OR ARGUMENTS TO MOVE THINGS UP, VOTE ON PRODUCT IDEAS OR POST A COMMENT.

Web Help Desk is an important product in the SolarWinds portfolio. We have an engineering team dedicated to making improvements, adding features and fixing bugs.

As a mature product that satisfies the needs of most customers, the release cycle for this product will likely be slower than that of other products who are more quickly evolving. Our release cycles might be anywhere between 9 to 18 months depending on the number and complexity of the releases being added. SolarWinds is committed to Web Help Desk and will continue to improve it.

Here is a preview of some the features we are working on post v12.5;

• Unexpected Simplicity
            • In product efficiency enhancements focusing on Assets, Ticketing, Reservations, PO
              • Reservation capabilities within a ticket
              • Drag and Drop functionality within Tickets and FAQ - Based on this Idea in Thwack
              • Asset / PO Workflow Enhancement - Based on Feedback
              • Enhanced Search
                • Spotlight Searches within Modules - Example Adding a "General" Form Search box within Assets
          • Application-Centric
            • Multi-Tech per Ticket
            • Parent / Child Time - Tracking
            • Bar-code - Asset Management
          • Asset UI Re-Work - Next Gen UI (as recently performed on Dashboards)
          • IOS Application updates - More to come on this as we progress through iterations but first task is to update to run on IOS 10
          • Officially Building support for Office 365 - Many are using the MS-Exchange connector we had built for previous exchange versions and we are building in O365 support
          • AWS/Azure/Docker - Market place packaging making it easier to stand up in the cloud.
            typhoon87

Could not agree more. Its time for SW to break the seal and they really need to get the next 2 or 3 releases out quickly.

nathanseaton

We're in the same boat as others. A major feature roll-out needs to happen soon or we're jumping ship to another product. I'd rather see more frequent

I'd rather see more frequent small updates instead of massive updates every 9-18 months.

josharm35

I think that SW has fallen down, all the products not just this one have seem to hit a wall. Nothing really new, exciting, or ground breaking. We have already started looking for a replacement to WHD as we have lost faith that they will be doing anything with the product moving forward. For us proof was when they updated Orion and did nothing for WHD, its a dead product.

jprinz

I agree.  Quite frankly, I made the decision to go with WHD and am kind of let down in myself.   I feel like I chose a dead end product that I have countless hours invested in.  and based on what Im seeing, it not an asset for my personal resume.

What products are ya'll looking at as a replacement?  I keep seeing service desk.. Office 365 has a phone app for it and even Solarwinds embraces it with more emphasis in NPM than its own product!

rodegard

Monday's announcement from Apple on iOS 11 really puts the WHD mobile app in the corner.  The app store says last update 9/8/2014.  The website 9to5 Mac reports:

Ahead of WWDC kicking off tomorrow and the unveil of iOS 11, 32-bit applications have stopped appearing in App Store search results. This is the latest piece of evidence that suggests iOS 11 will drop support altogether for 32-bit applications when it’s unveiled next week to developers and to the general public later this fall.