4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2017 10:07 AM by adminmd

"Invoke failed, check fault information" Error

adminmd

Hello everyone,

New to the Thwack community, so please bare me with. I'm inheriting our current Orion environment and I was tasked with running a period scan of our servers. I was attempting to set this up with the "Network Sonar Discovery" tool. When I tried to make a new discovery, I can get as far as the "virtualization" tab. When I try to go to the "Config Management" tab I run into this error (shown below). I've tried searching the forums, and the FAQ, for any sort of guidance but none have been applicable so far. It doesn't appear that my database has been getting any sort of error, and I don't think it's a credential problem that's causing this.

Additionally, is there a better way to set up a scan of servers? I wanted to place a scan every day or so to pick up any servers that other departments of ours may have created without our permission. Our environment consists solely of VMware running mostly 2008R2 or 2012R2.

Thanks for any help or advice!

• Re: "Invoke failed, check fault information" Error
          p.darila

Hi,

it's more likely product issue than local issue.

My advise is to upgrade VIM to new version (from screenshot it's visible that you are running really old version). I think that this will solve your problem and if not, you should contact customer support.

What exactly do you mean by "servers"? Hosts or vCenter (top-level entity)? If yes, I think that your steps are correct = you will schedule discovery to run periodically for some IP range or so.

But if you mean only Virtual Machines or something below already added vCenter, VIM will find new entities automatically.

adminmd

Below is a copy of the versions we're running in our current Orion environment. It looks like we're running IVIM 2.1.0. Would this still be considered really old? Is it necessary to upgrade to a newer version? If so, I'll definitely run this up the ladder.

Sorry for lack of clarification. I'm essentially trying to make sure what we've already "discovered" in our environment is what's correct. Like I said, I'm basically inheriting our current Orion platform and am trying to improve it and move over to it for our sole monitoring application (we're still using WhatsUp Gold for most things). I know we have a couple vCenters that aren't in Orion yet, which was the original goal of running the Network Sonar Discovery.

Thanks for your input!

Orion Versions.PNG

p.darila

Hi,

well, latest released version is VIM 7.1 (other VIM versions: 2.1.0 -> 2.1.1 -> 2.1.2 -> 7.0 -> 7.1 + last released NPM is 12.1), so 2.1.0 is pretty old. You will get some nice new feature with upgrade.

However, discovery should be definitely working also on 2.1.0, so you can still try to open case with support, but I believe that they will suggest you the same.

Ideal scenario how to setup monitoring of your virtualization environment is:

- deploy VMAN appliance - and add all vCenters/standalone hosts (top level entities) to it

- then integrate VMAN with Orion VIM -> VMAN will be sending polling results to VIM

If you will be polling virtualization env. only via Orion, you will be lacking some data, i.e. storage. So it's not ideal

(I'm not saying that polling via Orion is bad, bud it's not so complex from virtualization point of view) [as Chris said in post below, VMAN team is already working on full VMAN polling in Orion, but it wasn't released yet]

When you will be polling env. via VMAN, there are 2 kind of polling jobs - configuration and performance. Configuration runs every 10 minutes and collect some basic statistics, configuration runs every 12 hours.

Both of these jobs will find out, that new Virtual Machine was created below monitoring vCenters. Then you can create report or something, for 'new VMs'.

adminmd

For anybody stumbling upon this later on, the issue corrected itself after a couple of days. I just kept trying a few times then it worked and I haven't gotten the error since (it's been about two weeks of regular use). Sorry if this isn't too helpful!