This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Convert a Trap to an Solarwinds Alert

Hi Have looked through the documentation but cant find a way of converting a TRap to a SolarWinds Alert.

I know I can use trap view to do thinks like email, generated windows events etc. but cant see a way of converting a trap to appear in the SolarWinds Alert Viewer.

Any assistance would be much appreciated

• 1. open a support case with solarwinds asking for this functionality because that is the only way that the product manager is going to give it any priority.

2. check out this somewhat long and complicated thread with some examples of how to get this working: Custom SQL Alerts based on the SNMP trap message content

And *please* everyone do step 1 because it's driving me nuts that after this long Solarwinds Developers are incapable of getting this sorted out. I've been programming computers and databases for almost four decades and it hurts my brain that it is so hard to get this done!

• Hi Richard

Thanks for this, my understanding from your is  that a SQL statement returns a node id and caption. From my experimenting looks like it will only generated one alert and if there are a number of traps that match the condition cant extract specific data from a specific trap.

I will ask the customer to raise this with support. I have never seen a network mangement system before that doesnt allow an event to generated from a specific trap. Also where the agent address of the trap isnt automatically associated with the node.

Thanks again

E.J.

• inbound traps are correctly associated with the IP address (and the nodeid) of the node \

The example on that thread was a little more broad because the SNMP agent was proxying traps for other components of the system.

In fact, for most of them I use the 'nodeid' like this:

Trigger Query:

WHERE

Nodes.nodeid in (

SELECT t1.nodeid alertNode FROM traps t1 inner join [dbo].[TrapVarbinds] tv1

on t1.trapid=tv1.trapid

where tv1.oidname like 'bfdSessAddr.%' and T1.traptype='BFD-STD-MIB:bfdSessDown'

and datetime>dateadd(hour,-1,getdate())

)

Reset Query:

WHERE

Nodes.nodeid NOT in (

SELECT t1.nodeid alertNode FROM traps t1 inner join [dbo].[TrapVarbinds] tv1

on t1.trapid=tv1.trapid

where tv1.oidname like 'bfdSessAddr.%' and T1.traptype='BFD-STD-MIB:bfdSessDown'

and datetime>dateadd(hour,-1,getdate())

)

It's very annoying to have to write lots of SQL for what should be a simple 'if you get this type of trap then trigger an alert'

• Thanks for this mine is similar issue I am using a Syslog system that creates the traps and sends to the NMS system.

I gest the alertNode is the thing that makes it generate an alert for the corresponding node id

Thanks

E.J.