This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Change Location to Building Name

Hi I was hoping the community can help.

I have two questions which are kinda related.

In my parent types I have removed the hidden the subject field as in my eyes it replicates what I want to catch from users in the child types.

However I also want to remove the subject from the initial request screen. Is this possible.

This leads on to my second question regarding the from screen.  I want to change the location field to building name as this is what my employers and its employees are used to.  I then want to use the term location for where the issue is. An example of how I would like to do this is below.

IE Building Name -  The Big Building - I want this as the drop down.

Location               Floor 1

Room                  16

I may not use room , but thought Id include it as I may need to.

Hope you can help

Richard

• For the first question:

Yes

Go to Setup -> Tickets -> Options and uncheck the box for Use Subject Field.

• Thanks for that, much appreciated. Does Anyone know how to remove the asset field from request types.

Thanks again

• If you mean on the Client (end-user) side, yes:   each individual Request Type has a checkbox in the settings called "Use Models".  If you uncheck it and Save it, that "models" section on the Client won't show when that Request Type is selected.

•   I want to change the location field to building name as this is what my employers and its employees are used to.  I then want to use the term location for where the issue is. An example of how I would like to do this is below.

IE Building Name -  The Big Building - I want this as the drop down.

Location               Floor 1

Room                  16

I may not use room , but thought Id include it as I may need to.

OK, so for this part, I'm not sure if you can do it exactly as it is stated here.

Some background:

Renaming things:

You can rename many of the field names in WHD.  They are called "labels".    "Company" and "Location" and "Department" and "Room" are all labels that can be renamed to whatever you'd like, for example.
    This article talks about that:   Customize the Web Help Desk GUI language and labels - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support
    Short Version: 

• Create a new (empty) text file at   <path to Program Files>\Webhelpdesk\conf\labels\CustomLabels.properties
      • Open the file <path to Program Files>\Webhelpdesk\conf\labels\Labels.properties   and find the particular labels you want to change in that document.  Examples would be:
        lbl.location = Location
        lbl.company = Company
        lbl.room = Room
        lbl.department = Department
      • Copy the lines representing the labels you want to change and put them in the CustomLabels.properties file.
      • Change the text on the right side of the "=" for each line to what you want it to be and Save the file.
      • Restart Web Help Desk using the "Stop Web Help Desk" and "Start Web Help Desk" links on the Start Menu.   You'll want to right-click those shortcuts and "run as Administrator" when you do that.

Relationships between "Companies", "Locations", and "Rooms":

There is (or can be, anyway) a relationship between Company and Location.  You can think of it as a hierarchy:     Company -->  Location  -->  Room.  

So, when Clients go to submit a ticket, they can specify the Location (required) and Room (optional). 

There is not an option for them to choose the Company directly.  IF there is a relationship between a given Location and a Company, the system will relate the ticket to the Company based on the Location selected.

You could almost use Company (renamed to Building)  and Location & Room fields as they are to accomplish your goal - except that you want Building as the dropdown.

One option that might work is to rename Location to Building and then create a custom field called "Floor" or "Area" or "BuildingLocation" and assign that custom field to all of your Request Types.   You could make that custom field Required if you'd like so that the Clients ​have​ to answer it.  While there wouldn't technically be a relationship between that custom field and the Building field, the Tech could see what the Client had entered for that field in the ticket.