3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 10:08 AM by deverts

Is there a simple and device agnostic way to manage Web Content Filtering using SolarWinds?

cpinto

I am brand new to SolarWinds

Where can I learn how to manage web content filtering with SolarWinds NCM?

Thanks,

Chris

• Re: Is there a simple and device agnostic way to manage Web Content Filtering using SolarWinds?
          deverts

cpinto,

Firstly, Welcome to the club! Secondly, what are you trying to accomplish? Managing any system means different things to different people; and it means different things per system type. What functionality are you looking to accomplish by managing your content filters? Some people think backing up the config is good enough, others might want a full workflow for configuring filter rules then backing it all up as a form of revision control. So, what level of "management" are you looking for?

D

• Re: Is there a simple and device agnostic way to manage Web Content Filtering using SolarWinds?
              cpinto

Here is an set of requirements that I have been asked to fulfill (where WCF is Web Content Firewall)

Customers must be able to:

• Update WCF URL whitelists and blacklists
              • Update WCF categories
              • Example: “block all sites that are listed in the “adult” and “entertainment” categories”
              • Set different WCF policies for different “user groups”
              • Must support up to 20 user groups (Fortinet's maximum #)
              • Must be able to update both URL and categories – specific to the groups of users the customer has set
              • Example: “block youtube.com for all groups, except for the marketing group which needs Youtube to upload videos"
              • Example: “block all sites in the entertainment category, except for the advertising group”
              • Customers must be able to view WCF configuration reporting for each user group
              • Need a mechanism built in to verify that changes were make successfully
              • WCF changes thru the portal must be tracked in audit trail reporting –